Spencer

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Maff
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Spencer

Post by Maff »

Hi,

I have now obtained the 'Spencer' piano that was discussed in the general piano forum a short time ago. The serial number is 80245, could anybody tell me it's age?

On another note, it was used on some occasions by Flanders and Swann for some of their smaller concerts.

Many thanks

Matthew
Any resemblence of professionalism is purely accidental!
Bill Kibby

Spencer

Post by Bill Kibby »

The number suggests 1926, and there may be datemarks under the keys, or on the iron frame below keyboard level. Also, if the action has a paper label for Malcolm on the rear, the number can be dated. I can quote for printing general info on the firm through my website.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Mark Osborne

Post by Mark Osborne »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the above information. I came across the site today while trying to find out the age of my Piano. The Piano in question is marked Spencer London, has Spencer on the metal frame, and serial number 80223 close by.

The piano was originally bought by my Grandmother for my Grandfather, and from memory, (some 35 years or more ago), was told that it was bought in 1926. Your info confirms this.

It has a lovely sound, still enjoyed by my wife, son and I.

Thanks once again.

Mark