bosendorfer 130 CL upright

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Fallada
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

bosendorfer 130 CL upright

Post by Fallada »

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this piano.
I sometimes spot these rare beasts going for around £10,000 second hand, post 1970's.
They are supposed to be a bit special.
So would this be a good buy and are there inherent problems with owning such a piano?
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: bosendorfer 130 CL upright

Post by joe »

£10,000 would be okay say for an instrument say a few years old not for a 40 year old piano,in general i feel they are overpriced and the tone from their uprights are nothing special,dont get the Bosendorfer thing ,get the romantic history part of it,but thats all.Opinion based on tuning a few imperials,rebuilding a few smaller grand cica 1920s and played quite a few over a long period of time.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

some Bosendorfers can be absolutely stunning pianos but you really have to hunt. I think £10k for a 40 year old piano is a bit steep, you wouldn't even pay that for a 40 year old Steinway in original condition.

I've played afew imperials and wasn't so impressed, yeah they're fine pianos, well made, but for the money you know what I'd rather have already.... you don't need to ask ;)

There was one Bosendorfer I played a few years ago, however, and it was absolutely beautiful. It was a model 225. Overall I prefer the Steinway. That's either because it's my personal preference or Steinway is actually better. I don't know. Perhaps in that league it's subjective. I remember recently comparing a Yamaha S6 to a Bosendorfer 185 in the same showroom, and I thought the Yamaha won hands down. Perhaps more to do with these two particular instruments than the brands themselves but to me it's worth pointing out. Especially when you consider the prices.
Kemble King
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Kemble King »

Fully agree with Joe on this one. Vastly over rated piano that are not as good sounding as Yamaha or Kawai at a third of its price.

Regards

Kk
The most AMAZING piano dealer in the UK

Kemble Centre of Excellence also dealer for Kawai, Wendl and Lung and Brodmann pianos