Cleaning an upright

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Cleaning an upright

Post by Geminoz »

Hi again
Can you tell me the best way to ensure the inside of an upright is kept clean....should I be vacuuming some areas??? Or would a duster or cloth be a better method. My vacuum cleaner is quite powerful and I wouldn't want it to suck up things that it shouldn't.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Place it in a dust free environment :)

A vacuum cleaner with a brush used with care if fine or a big feather duster However, this is a job your tuner will periodically or should do

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

cleaning an upright

Post by Geminoz »

Thanks Barrie....everything looks quite good inside at the moment... I will ask tuner to check next time around...in the meantime I will keep checking and go with the feather duster I think.
As far as a dust-free environmenmt is concerned...that is manageable in winter months when we get rain, but sometimes we get weeks and weeks without rain here in the summer and then the only way to keep the dust out would be to place the piano inside a vacuum. :?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Yes it can be difficult to keep a piano dust free – tuned a piano next to a cement making factory once, they had lived there for a few years, she phone me up as some of the notes were not working it was unbelievable a big block of cement. The cement. dust had gone hard , as the house was quite damp I had to take the action back to may work shop to clean that - but it made me wonder if that was in the piano what was in her lungs

Barrei,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

cleaning an upright

Post by Geminoz »

Oh my goodness...you people certainly come in contact with some strange situations....I hope the lady survived the cement dust.
Isn't the piano world a wonderful place in which to be involved. :)
I just love this forum...I read all the posts and am learning some interesting facts...once again thanks to all of you.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Not as much as tuners in your country and Florida a tuner friend of mine opened a piano to fined a nest of brown ants which he disturbed all I can say is it’s a good job most houses have swimming pools in Florida he could have been very ill as a bite from a brown ant is quite nasty – the most we fined arte mice, moths and the odd rat

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

cleaning an upright

Post by Geminoz »

Yikes :shock: I'm having second thoughts about taking the front off now :!: :!: ....maybe I'll go with the vacuum cleaner after all....it does have a long hose...or leave it for the tuner to do....