Spencer

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Maff
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Spencer

Post by Maff »

Hi,

I have just been offered another piano which upon playing I found had a lovely tone and was reasonably in tune but I think the action is in need of some attention. The keys are not very responsive, in some areas allowing you to play 'fff' or not at all. The name displayed was 'Spencer, London'. At the time I was unable to dismantle the piano for further inspection and to obtain any serial numbers but I am led to belive the piano is not ecessively old.

Any information and opinion on 'Spencer' would be appreciated. Is this the same as 'John Spencer & Co'. mentioned elswhere on this site?

Many thanks.

Matthew :mrgreen:
Any resemblence of professionalism is purely accidental!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Spencer’s go back a bit so you could have a vertical strung over damper or an over damper with a sluggish action if you like the tone I get a tuner to look at the action to access the state it may just need a good regulating or it may have been played to death

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Maff
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Maff »

Cheers Barry, it just wasn't a name I was familiar with. Will go back and have a proper look after they've shifted all the clutter off the top of it :)

Matthew
Maff
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Maff »

For information, the Piano is overstrung and under dampered. When you press a key and you can feel some sort of movement before what appears to be the normal action movement (asthough something slips slightly) does anybosy have an idea what this could be? It seems to be more noticable when playing 'piano' and occurs thoughout the keyboard.

Many thanks

Matthew
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

It’s called lost motion, very common problem. The capstans just need turning up this is one of the nice things about pianos the facility is there to take quite a bit of wear and tear out of the piano

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page