Robinson / Schwander Herrburger Brooks

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

PianoRookie

Robinson / Schwander Herrburger Brooks

Post by PianoRookie »

Hi, I'd like to know more about age and history of our piano. We 8 years ago got a Robinson piano with a Schwander Herrburger Brooks action as a gift of a Diplomate acquaintance to be played by our daughters.
We only know it was supposed to be British, has been bought in Bangkok and got a special tropicalised body.
The inscription on the action says:
> Schwander Herrburger Brooks, Meadow Lane, Long Eaton Nottingham, NGIO 2FG - made specially for Robinson Piano Manufacturer <

Please can anyone help us with that?
Thank you in advance!

PianoRookie, Maryland USA
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Robinson / Schwander Herrburger Brooks

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Robinson doesn't have an entry in the Pierce Piano Atlas (400+ page book which charts all of the piano manufacturers and serial numbers). Therefore, Robinson is not likely to be a piano manufacturer but what is known as a Stencil piano. That means the piano will be a generic unbranded piano and Robinson would have been a retailer or distributor who chose to have the name Robinson stuck on the front.

This makes the piano impossible to date as far as I'm aware and so you have to judge by the cabinet and action design to determine the age instead.

You can read about the Herburger Brooks action here
http://www.piano-tuners.org/herrburgerbrooks/index.html

Hope that helps a little
:)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
piano heads
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by piano heads »

Check name most likely Barratt and Robinson who took over Challen pianos in 1967 and they used to tropicalise pianos for the far eastern piano markets.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

MarkGoodwinPianos wrote:.......You can read about the Herburger Brooks action here
http://www.piano-tuners.org/herrburgerbrooks/index.html
Hope that helps a little
:)

That was an interesting link. I didn't know much about their actions. What's the general opinion when compared with Renner? Good as, better, inferior?
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
piano heads
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by piano heads »

Very similar New Age.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

It would be very unwise to assume that the Pierce Piano Atlas lists all manufacturers. The only Robinson that comes to mind is Barratt & Robinson, London. The modern postcode probably means it was made after 1970.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info