Buying a disclavier??

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

peterspiano

Buying a disclavier??

Post by peterspiano »

Hi, I am thinking about buying a Yamaha Disclavier upright DU1 and wondered if anyone could let me know what they think of them. My wife used to play some years ago and now that she has given up work to have our baby would like to get back into it (maybe she won't have time but...!).

I can't play at all but would very much like to learn and this piano would seem (from the co's blurb!) a good one to learn on given the SmartKet play assist system, silent play(!),one handed playing etc. Are these just gimmicks or does anyone rate this model?

Many thanks Peter Hicks
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I've tuned quite a few of these, and think they'd be excellent for a learner. You can record say, the left hand part of a piece and then learn the other hand but have the benefit of hearing it in a two-hand context without a complete mental breakdown. And from your wife and baby's point of view the silent play option could also be a blessing...! :D My only reservation is that I don't know what happens if/when the electric spaghetti bit has problems; will Yamaha still be making the electric bits ten years or so down the line? That might be worth checking with Yamaha themselves, as I certainly wouldn't touch that part of a Disklavier, and neither would any of my tuner friends - not for a million pounds! Good luck with the lessons! Gill x
peterspiano

Post by peterspiano »

Hi Gill, I now what you mean about the electronics, it would be a nightmare if that went wrong. I was reassured after a visit to a Chapells to have a look at one last week. The chap there told me it's a huge market in the US, so Yamaha should remain committed. Also they've been making them for about 10 years so hopefully will continue to offer support should it go wrong. Many thanks for the comments. I think I've pretty much decided to go for it! Peter