R.J. Woods upright?

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

muralmommy23

R.J. Woods upright?

Post by muralmommy23 »

We recently bought a small ranch in East Texas and along with the 100 year old farmhouse there was an upright piano. We are not "piano people" but it is a lovely addition to our home. I'm trying to find any information I can about the piano. The only mark it has states, "R.J. Woods, Many years with Erard. Pianoforte Manufacturers, London". I would like to know the general time period in which it was made and anything else about it. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Bill Kibby

Re: R.J. Woods upright?

Post by Bill Kibby »

A fairly similar Woods piano was estimated at 1904, but I have no details of their business yet, we don't even know if they were really makers at all.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
ning

Post by ning »

I got a piano with the same maker. It's beautiful -- and noble--, with flower carvings and candle holders. Apart from the same marks as quoted above, there are four badges that revealed when the previous owner polished the piano. The four badges were all image of Victoria, with the year 1837 abd 1897). It will be really nice if there is some way to discover the history of this pinao maker. Any suggestion?
ning

Post by ning »

I found a book "Strength and elasticity of structural members" , written by Richard John Woods, published in London, E. Arnold, 1903.

wonder if this Richard John Woods has anything to do with the piano manufacturer in London
Bill Kibby

Re: R.J. Woods book

Post by Bill Kibby »

Quite possibly, but what are these "structural members" part of?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info