overdamper piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

overdamper piano

Post by Geminoz »

Since joining this forum I have found some interesting information for which I thank all participants.
I have come across several references to overdamper....what does this mean, what does it do....and how can I tell if my piano has it.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Overdamper is where the dampers are above the hammers they are not as efficient as under dampers, the main reason is they are damping the string a the end of the string length where as the under damper the damping is more towards the centre of the string, so more efficient. the other factor is over dampers use Newton’s law of Gravity and under dampers use springs

Visit here and scroll down to 1907 click on the Bluthner over damper link and you will see some photos of an over damper action

http://www.uk-piano.org/history/history_1.html

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

overdamper piano

Post by Geminoz »

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply to my query....but oh dear...I am beginning to realise the extent of my ignorance and I am feeling not a little :oops: .....my first question should have been what is a damper...what does it do and what does it look like. I checked out the web page and looked at the workings of the piano photographed....but could not make head nor tail of it...please don't think me stupid (even though I am when it comes to this subject) but I am endeavouring to learn through your very informative site for which I thank you. I am really enjoying visiting here :D
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

We will assume you have an upright piano – go to your piano and lift the lid up and press the sustain pedal (the right hand pedal ) you will see the all the dampers coming off the strings they are what kill the sound when they are at rest if you play individual notes you will see the individual dampers working

I did this for Fletcher Newman. you will need flash on your computer put the mouse over the parts and it will tell you what they are the damper head it the one on the string the action is an under damper
http://www.fletcher-newman.co.uk/flash/ ... ction.html

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Brinsmead piano

Post by Geminoz »

Hi again
Good news...I have had a tuner look at my 1919 Brinsmead and Sons Piano and he was able to tune it successfully.
He said for its age the piano was in quite good condition and that I had not paid too much for it (which I had thought).
He was also able to tell me the piano is over strung and under dampered.
Thanks once again to all you knowledgeable folk on this site for without your assistance I would not have even known the right questions to ask him. I will continue to read the posts in the forum as I find them very interesting.