buying a new yamaha

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

marumi

buying a new yamaha

Post by marumi »

:o Help, all your music expert! I am looking to buy a new Yamaha piano. But confused with all the different models, and advice given. Some said it's nice to buy one made in the UK, some said it's good to get a model made in Japan, What are the differences between them? I don't know anything about piano other than Yamaha is a very well-known make, and would like to buy one suitable for beginners to advanced players. Please also recommand where would be the best place to buy, shop vs internet?
Please help! :roll:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Some of the models made in the UK are not available from Japan and some models are not made in the UK, as far as quality is concerned the last time I visited the UK factory they were very proud of the fact that they had beaten the Japanese factory on quality control and production for that year

As to buying if you Buy from a local shop you have the local aftercare and being able to try the piano which is important the more advanced you are buying from the net can save you quite a bit of money However, unless you live close to one of the big discounters you have to buy from the box now this is fine for a beginner but not so good for the advanced player as they do need to try before they buy

Some retailers have a price promise so you could fine the piano you like in your local shop find it cheaper on the net and ask them to match it or better it, you have to take into account when buying on the net that 1st Tuning and delivery may not be in the price your main big discounters on the internet for Yamahas are

www.pianoplus.co.uk
www.chamberlainmusic.com
www.chrisvenables.co.uk

and you can nock them down even more on some models

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
marumi

Thank you!

Post by marumi »

Thank you very much, Barrie. Very impressed with your advice and this helps a lot.

another question, As I am thinking of buying a new piano for two beginners and they are 7 and under, Is it worth getting the Yamaha U1 model or shall I go for a lower model i.e. C-110?

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If you can afford the U1 then go for that one Why! If the kids take to the piano the U1 will serve them well, not that there is anything wrong with the 110 just that they are entry level and the U1 is the start of the Pro range,

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Maff
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Maff »

Hi,

When I was getting my most recent piano I looked into getting a Yamaha but to my ear I found the tone a little too bright. I ended up with a Kemble, I understand that they are practically identical to the Yamaha in construction but I much prefered the more mellow tone. Before getting the piano I would recommend trying a few of the same type and you may find you prefer the tone of one more than the other.

Regards

Matthew :D