New Upright

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

PMcGeough
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

New Upright

Post by PMcGeough »

Is the touch of a brand new upright likely to loosen off over time or do you just get used to the difference? My old piano took no effort to respond.
Thanks.
PMcGeough
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

New Upright

Post by PMcGeough »

No comment from anyone out there??
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Upright

Post by Barrie Heaton »

PMcGeough wrote:Is the touch of a brand new upright likely to loosen off over time or do you just get used to the difference? My old piano took no effort to respond.
Thanks.
This is a yes and no

All depends one what is making the action stiff…..

1. if it is in the cheep end of the market and badly set up and poorly regulated then no it may get worse .
2. if the piano has been sitting in a damp van or crate then there is a good chance that it may loosen up a little, sometimes we have to re centre them to solve the problems
3 badly regulated
4 You have been playing on a piano in the past with a very light touch - too light and you are finding this one difficult you will get use to it

Now the big question you are going to ask How do I know which one it is !

Well you need to get in your tuner and they can test the up and down weights to see how much friction there is has the shop given you a free tuning if so have you had them out yet

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PMcGeough
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

New Upright

Post by PMcGeough »

Thanks Barrie for useful info.
I believe the answer is 4 - that my old piano had too light a touch making me lazy! Overall tone is good and touch is even. Shop will tune in a month for me.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Just point out to the tuner that you feel that the touch is on the stiff site see what they say but if it is even then it is more likely number 4

Tip play the piano very hard a few days before the tuner comes this will help settle the piano down quicker

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page