Wm Knabe & Co Upright S/N 45213

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Flake

Wm Knabe & Co Upright S/N 45213

Post by Flake »

Hi

I am based out in Norway and am currently seriously considering this second hand piano. It seems to be in very good condition musically, with a beautiful rounded tone, all the way from the bass up to the very highest notes. There is a little bit of superficial damage to the wood finish, and the name of the importer into Norway was stencilled in below the Knabe & Co name in a not too spectacular way. However, the piano restorer is truely impressed with the build quality, the stability, and the state of the ivory keys and the internal workings. Now, Norway prices being what they are, normally one can expect to pay up to double the UK price for this sort of thing (we're guessing). Before he had done a full inspection of this piano (he had only just got it in) he had suggested about 2000 pounds for it, and now he is saying that he is as good as his word, but in reality he should have been looking at closer to 3000 pounds. I know it is impossible to make an accurate opinion, but given that it is the authentic Knabe Upright (Gold Medal) Pianofrom c.1898, and if musically it is as good sounding as I have suggested, am I on a winner?

NB The various carvings on the legs and the front panelling makes it interestingly garish in a friendly and peculiarly eccentric kind of way!

Any information/advice/suggestions are extremely welcome!

Thank you.
Flake
Bill Kibby

Knabe

Post by Bill Kibby »

Read Barrie's notes at the top of the forum, then press www below, and read "Appraisal"...
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info