Jarrett & Goudge overdamper - DYI restore/repair project

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jarrett & Goudge overdamper - DYI restore/repair pro

Post by Barrie Heaton »

massaloch wrote:Hi,

I'm turning to the UK for some insight, given what seems like a nearly universal disdain for/fear of this sort of piano by technicians in the US (from my reading of piano technician mailing list archives).
This is because in the US they use a muting strip when tuning as most tuners use ETD to tune with were as in the UK we use a PAPs wedge to tune uprights. Over damper pianos are very difficult to tune if you use a muting strip so most US tuners are put off them for a tuning point
massaloch wrote: I have a Jarrett & Goudge piano with "birdcage" action, #10403. I picked it up for free several years ago and it has been sitting in our living room unused and unplayable (but otherwise gorgeous :). Several of the keys are sticky and almost all of the hammers are extremely slow to return (some never return). It appears otherwise complete and intact (though missing the action assembly on the highest note - how would I go about finding a replacement?), albeit a little dirty. I've finally gotten it into my head to restore/repair the piano. I'd like to do as much of it myself as is feasible - cleaning, getting the action operating, coarse adjustment etc - and leave fine adjustment, tuning, etc, to a technician. What am I getting myself into? Is there a book or other documents for the uninitiated describing what sort of workflow to follow in overhauling the action? Is a first pass at "unsticking" the hammers to lubricate the hinges with an appropriate lubricant (protek?).
“lubricate the hinges” they are called flanges and the pin inside is called the centres also to confuse matters more quite a few parts have different names in the US to the UK

Protek works to a point however, if the centres are very stiff they will need re centreing. Reblitz is what most hobbyist read but I find it very lacking in many areas and assumes the reader knows quite a lot re-centreing being one

As to replacement parts we tend to fabricate them from new or old parts depending on what is missing

As to adjustment to the action they are very simple to adjust the big problem most have is getting the dampers working well and that includes some piano tuners

Since you have decided to do some work yourself and the piano is only at present costing you your time if the Proteking the action doesn’t work you could place the action in a large plastic bag and connect the opening end to a dehumidifier this will suck out all the moisture you will have to then spend time tightening up screws you must not dry out the piano back or the tuning pins will become loos

massaloch wrote:
Is this maker well known? There are plenty of old pianos around so I dont expect much in the way of value, and dont really care, either. The fact that it fits the decor of our living room (arts & crafts/art nouveau antiques) is good enough. But with my harpischord sold and only a sampling synth to play, I'd love to get this piano working!

Thanks for any direction you can offer!

Mark
Berkeley, CA

A photo would be useful to see what type or over damper (birdcage ) action you have

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page