buying a grand

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Steve071261
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

buying a grand

Post by Steve071261 »

Hi,

I've been playing for 35 years and recently started having lessons again (!). My teacher has a Steinway grand which is wonderful. I can't stretch to that, but it's rekindled my desire to replace my Squire upright with a grand.

I've looked at Bechsteins, and considered a Bluthner. I was surprised, having played a couple of decent Bechsteins in a Manchester showroom that they were nowhere near as good in the bass as the Steinway, so much so that I've gone off them a bit. My budget is about GBP 3-4000, and I'd like something from maybe 1910-1930 which would be worth spending a bigger sum on for restoration at a later date, but must be playable and satisfying for now. Size, about 6' would suit nicely.

I've only just discovered Grotrian Steinweg and I'm intrigued, although I've never played one.

Any opinions on these, I hear generally good things about them?

thanks,

Steve.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Older pianos of any make can have disappointing basses as they may need to be restrung have you looked at any restored Bluthners, Steinway or Bechsteins

Buying a piano with the view to having it restored can be a good investment however, only if the piano is sound to start with. If the piano is a wreck but a named piano like Bechsteins, Bluthners or Steinway it is worth doing a full rebuild including a new soundboard then you have a new piano at less then half price in some cases but it is better done by the manufacture

Have you been to the Steinway centre at Bolton

However, 3 to 4 K is not going to get you a decent named grand for that price, you will have to go way down market and up your funds unless you buy privately or a far east make

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Steve071261
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Buying a grand

Post by Steve071261 »

Thanks.

Matter of fact the Bechsteins I played were new, and (in my opinion) not a patch on a restored Steinway on sale at less than half their price (but still well outside my budget).

Still looking...

Steve