Doing it Continental

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Doing it Continental

Post by Openwood »

I've been babbling away in other threads about my C3 being put back together after a spell in storage. As well as getting the insides checked-out I'd also like to get a couple of scuff marks polished out on the music tray and the case. Annoyingly, they happened when it was delivered new and I was too dozy to notice them or I'd have got it fixed under warranty. Can any competent French Polisher get rid of scratches on a black polyester finish? I don't want it to end-up looking even worse than it does now (shall I continue to state the blindingly obvious? No? OK then).
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Doing it Continental

Post by Barrie Heaton »

No... but you could go on the next one day polyester repair course and then do it your self and all the other nicks and bangs in your neck of the woods jkl

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

you could go on the next one day polyester repair course
Sounds interesting: when, where, and how much? Does anyone do similar courses for making basic tonal adjustments (needling etc)?
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Openwood wrote:
you could go on the next one day polyester repair course
Sounds interesting: when, where, and how much? Does anyone do similar courses for making basic tonal adjustments (needling etc)?
They are in Kent and are open to none tuners Price in the range of £300 for the day but I would contact them as I may be way out.
Fletcher & Newman Ltd
5 Bourne Enterprise Centre
Wrotham Road
Borough Green
Kent. TN15 8DG
TEL: 01732 886555

As to the other bit, hmm takes more than a few one days courses to master that one, but the PTA and the ABPT do courses. However, the PTA don't allow none tuners unless they have changed their rules and the ABPT well that could be painful poking your eyes out to be a member and you would still have to learn to tune.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
longbow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by longbow »

Graham at Heckschers (trained by Konig in Germany) will usually do a basic polyester repair course one to one F.O.C. on the basis that you are an existing customer of theirs & will be buying your materials from them. For others there might be a small charge.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Well I did not know that Heckschers did them, that is handy to know I was under the impression that Flech had sole rights in the UK .

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

Small scuffs or hairline scratches (most blemishes which you can't feel with your fingernail) on the case should polish out using a proprietary finishing compound such as T-Cut and a very soft perfectly clean cloth. More stuborn scuffs and you would need to use a buffer. Take care not to leave the buffer on the same spot for more than a second or two or you may burn off the poly finish! Certain case parts such as the music tray are plastic and even more sensitive to friction. Scratches where you can feel a ridge with your nail have to be sanded down with various grades of wet n dry - 1200 grade eventually, and then buffed - don't try it! Dents and chunks have to be left to a pro.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk