Silent System Retrofit or Factory Fitted.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

DaveR

Silent System Retrofit or Factory Fitted.

Post by DaveR »

Hi,
I've been checking in on this forum for the last couple of months and thought it was about time I said hello . So 'hello' :D

I'm 42 and started play paino a little over 3 years ago. I bought a new Yamaha U1 and have been very happy with it .
The problem I'm facing is that my spare time seems to be later on in the evenings and the practice pedal' just isn't the answer to allowing the kids to get to sleep !!

With hindsight I think I should have bought a silent piano 3 years ago, so now I'm looking at options for fitting a silent system to my U1 .
So far I have looked at ( on the web ) Gabor Genio GT-2 and PianoDisc Quiet TimeGT-2 & PianoDisc Magic Star retrofit systems.
The Gabor is about £800 with the PianoDiscs more than twice that.
Is there that much difference in the performance of the systems to warrant the difference in price ?

The other option I have is to sell my U1 and buy a new / newish silent piano. Would the factory silent system on say a Silent U1 be much better than one of the higher spec retrofits ?

I don't want to use a stage electric piano for silent practice and would rather invest in the right option than a compromise.

I would very much appreciate your advice .

Thanks for your help.
Dave.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Personally I'd sell and get a Slient U1.

Gabor and Pianodisc systems are OK where no silent option is available or for a retrofit to an older piano, but the Yamaha Silent system is seamlessly integrated. It uses light interruption rather than microswitches and needs no setting up. The other problem with a retrofit is that it'll invalidate your Yamaha U1's warranty and the installation is only as neat or effective as the installer's skill allows.
PG

The opinion above is purely that of PianoGuy and is simply the opinion of one person ....

If you're buying a piano, try as many as you can and buy the one you like, not a similar one of the same type.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Also work out carefully how the figures stack up. Remember when you come to sell it it will be worth about the same as a standard model ( unless you sell in the first few years) . However try them all and see which one is best for you.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

As others have sad factory fitted is best from a resell point but if you are having one fitted I would opt for the cheaper option. The Gabore one did get voted best of the retro ones but that was a wile back and all have moved on Most use the same parts made in the far east

the big advantage of a reto one is you can take it out with little evidence in the piano (so long as you keep the slap rail) that one was fitted

All silent uprights have to have there set off altered you can take the Gabore one closer than the Yamaha one and the slap rail is a bit quieter Also you can get the Gabore one with the same type of light sensor that Yamaha use The normal switches used in retro ones add 0.5g to the touch

Have you spoke to the dealer who soled you the U1 they may have a good buy back system when upgrading

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Thank you PG, mdw and Barrie for your replies.

I didn't know the Gabor system was offered with the non-contact light sensors. On their web site it says the silent system does add a little weight to the touch. Some thing I'll look into.

And I'll get in touch first opportunity in the new year with the dealer who supplied my piano for upgrade options. I can remember they mentioned this point so I will have to dig out the original paper work to see what was offered.

As aways this sort of thing it isn't an easy decision to make :? .
I would still be very interested to hear form any one who has had a silent system retrofitted to their piano.
Cheers, Dave.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

its the first option
PNOscan

Key optical sensors fits under keys and adds no weight to the action

But its pricey about £800.00 more than a normal one I think

you will have to ask

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Barrie Heaton wrote:its the first option
PNOscan
Key optical sensors fits under keys and adds no weight to the action
Barrie,
Thanks for the link.
It reads that you need both the PNOscan and the Genio for an optical non-contact silent system.
I assume the PNO detects the keyboard movement optically and sends the midi info to the Genio which gererates the sound. Workable, but a bit clunky having to buy both units.
Hopefully I'll get the chance for some 'hands on' over the Christmas break to help me decide which way to go.
Cheers,
Dave.