Key regulation, reweighting?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jdcastro

Key regulation, reweighting?

Post by jdcastro »

Hi,

I have a very nice sounding piano. However the touch is a bit on the heavy side, particularly in the lower register. When I press down a key slowly, I can feel some resistance (as is desirable) but a bit too much for getting a soft note out - either hardly any sound comes out or I get a louder sound unexpectedly! Ideally I should be able to press the key right down and still get a sound out even if I press down slowly. Although one might expect a heavier touch to be ideal, it actually seems to work against soft, delicate playing.

If I want to lessen the resistance of the keys, does this require regulation, re-weighting or what? I guess a few hours work and several hundred pounds...

Thanks for any help,

Jon.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Upright or Grand?

The bass will have an heavier touch that the treble. However, it may not just be if it is a grand you may have worn rollers but a good clean out and regulating will make a big difference to any piano

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
jdcastro

ok

Post by jdcastro »

Thanks for that. Actually it's an upright, only a few years old...
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

OK if it is only a few years old then it could be lost motion combined with the bass dampers picking up too early – was the touch on the heavy side from day one or has it got that way over time.

You can do a lot with the touch on an upright with regulating, changing the leads in most cases in not necessary unless they have been set up incorrect but that is normally only on grands or if new hammers have been added

Have a chat with your tuner tell them the problem, see what he/she advises however, quite a few tuners are not interested in this sort of work, too much like hard work or lack of skills

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A damp room will make the piano sluggish

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
jdcastro

cheers

Post by jdcastro »

Thanks for the info. Actually I'm wondering if the room wasn't a bit on the cool side, as now it's warmer the piano seems to be working better! Also, being almost new it probably needs a bit of playing to get settled in..