Kemble 124, Kemble Mozart or a Yamaha U3S?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Yunami

Kemble 124, Kemble Mozart or a Yamaha U3S?

Post by Yunami »

Hello,

I am a passionate piano player and looking for a piano less than 6k. Have played hours with some piano that available in a retailer and 3 of them stand out.

1. Kemble 124
2. Kemble Mozart
3. Yamaha U3S

My preference is Yamaha U3S as they are quite famous of reliability and I feel that thing will definitely not go wrong with the U3, in terms of durability and quality. In addition, I do like the sound performance from it.

I don't know the Kemble range that well, but did feel connected with them especailly the Mozart.

Could anyone give me some independent advice please?

Thank you.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Go with the Kembles, similar kit to the Yams but nicer. Plus if you sell as a 2nd hand piano the Yam is instantly yet another U3 amongst thousands of some ok some dodgy imports. Where as I think the Kemble will hold its value better. As a dealer I offer rubish money on Yams 2nd hand as I simply dont want to compeat in a flooded market. But I can always sell a nice good condition Kemble so I pay good money and they then sell for good money. The Kemble has a bit more class. Just my opinion. :lol:
ATG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ATG »

First post so Hi to everyone.

I had to reply to this as we were in a similar position a few weeks ago, and ended up getting a Kemble Conservatoire which I presume is the same as the 124 you mention as it's 124cm high. The sound is just glorious and I cannot fault it in any way. The Mozart is in a 121cm case but I understand that the frame is the same size as the Conservatoire, just a bigger box and upgraded mechanism. We compared the Cons to a (secondhand) U3 and there was no contest, the U3 had a bright and slightly harsh sound while the Cons was smooth and restful (and brand new of course).

Do see if the budget will run to the Kemble as we are pleased as punch with ours.

ATG
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I've heard great things about the Kemble Mozarts. Personally I don't like 'em but that's just subjective and you'd get a beautiful-looking piano that's well-built and sounds great. Bags more personality than yet-another-Yamaha. Go for it...
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Yunami

Post by Yunami »

Thank you so much for all your suggestions.

I prefer the Kemble Mozart and enjoy playing with it, but not quite sure if I will spend the extra £1000 when I have to sell it after 3 years.

I initially wanted a piano for at least 10 years, but now I may have to sell it after 3 years due to personal circumstances. If I keep it, that means I have to store the piano in a storage which will not be good for the soundboard.

Does anyone know the re-sell value for the Kemble Mozart and Kemble Conservatoire?

Thank you in advance.
ennjaydee
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by ennjaydee »

The Mozart is a special edition with upgraded components and a special intonation and regulation stage ex factory (see Kemble sales info). The limited run of 250 is about at it's end so availability new will be limited. The result should be that second hand models will hold their value fairly well although like anything with VAT from new, there will be a loss after 3 years; projecting what that may be in this dire economy is an art in itself but should be stronger than a "standard" used model or a Yam where you will compete with 1000's on the used market.
mgmcgill
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by mgmcgill »

I had an almost identical choice between those 3 pianos.

I basically narrowed it down to between the U3S and the Mozart as I thought the Mozart had a far better tone than the K121.

I then did consider the resell value as the Yamaha was about 9 years old. I thought the Yamaha had a great feel/ touch to it, lighter than Kemble but ultimatly I thought the Kemble had the edge overall in terms of sound / price. I felt the Yamaha was a little bright.

However, please note that once you bring it into a room with carpets and curtains, the sounds does die down a bit.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with my Mozart.

I feel I made the right decisions but as someone says, it's all subjective.

Michael