BOGEYS!!!!!

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

BOGEYS!!!!!

Post by joseph »

Yes, an odd title for a thread in a piano forum isn't it? However, yesterday afternoon when teaching privately on my lovely brodmann piano at home, a child wiped a bogey on my piano. I had only looked away for a second (i was demonstrating something on the other piano) and when I returned to sit next to the child, the piano had acquired what I thought was a scratch. I wiped the scratch which turned out to be a bogey. I said to the child 'oh look, my piano has a bogey on it, how did that get there?!'

After the lessons, I wiped down the whole piano with a cloth and dettol and dried it. Pianos with children attached are such a breeding ground for germs, and a place where poor piano teachers pick up all sorts of nasties. I'm suffering from a cold plus earache this week, and I've no doubt that snotty fingers on the piano don't help.

Its when they sneeze on the piano that really hurts!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

ewwwwwwww cat puke!!! Mind you at school the other day a young lad suddenly declared he felt sick in his piano lesson. I quickly ushered him to the bathroom. Luckily it was a false alarm. Thing is, he just sat there facing the piano until I blasted 'Best go then hadn't you!'
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

what is jerking chicken?
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

ah yeah i think i've had it before, just never knew what it was called. I might make it sometime.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: BOGEYS!!!!!

Post by Moonlight »

joseph wrote: I wiped the scratch which turned out to be a bogey. I said to the child 'oh look, my piano has a bogey on it, how did that get there?!' ... Its when they sneeze on the piano that really hurts!

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Sounds really nasty! I would be horrified if that happened to me! :lol: Fortunately I'm no piano teacher, and if I was I'm not so sure if I could take young kids using my piano as a tissue! They are dirty little things sometimes. I worked at a nursery for work experience when I was at school, for two weeks and caught a really nasty cold from just being there for two days! It was really nasty I even had projectile vomiting from that! sorry too much info :shock: :oops:
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

dave brum wrote:All a bit 'Dick and Dom' this is, innit :- BOGEYS!
Ha Ha I know what your on about there Dave! I saw their silly little pranks about bogeys. They were in a restaurant and had to shout it out.

Your jerk chicken sounds nice! I'm sure I have had it before, maybe I'll give it ago again. I love scotch bonnet sauce, I used to eat it with almost anything!

I'm sure your can jerk steak too, by the way.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Q: What's the difference between brussels sprouts and bogeys?
A: A child won't eat a brussels sprout...
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Teaching primary school kids and all that, it is frightening where hands get to! Seriously! I'd have a packet of anti-septic or alcohol wipes beside the piano and wipe down keys before playing it yourself.

Don't use sprays as the moisture can get into the wood of the keys.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

yeah i know- this ear infection is almost crippling me. Still, the mucus has started to drain down my throat at least, just waiting to see whats in the post now! I'm supposed to be practising for my tour. Not a chance at the moment.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

That kind of thing is going around the schools. I just got over a very bad sinus infection and needed to get strong anti-biotics to clear the infection. Have you been to the doctor yet?
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i'm going to go tomorrow. I like to give things a couple of days to see if they shift on their own. Most of the time, they do.

Its also the time of year that the secretary in the surgery says 'i can get you an appointment 2 weeks on tuesday...' meanwhile, dying slowly and painfully in the corner having overdosed on ibuprofen....
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Well I had to use the "Doctor On Call" system and got an appointment in 2 hours. You need to clear your head before your tour. How was your prep going before you took ill?
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Going fine actually, the only thing which is loosing me sleep is the finale of the emperor concerto which I'm going to give a one off performance of in london. That same week I'm doing a recital at Bluthners on a spanking new Model 4. Lucky I wont have that spare 45 grand in my pocket or it may find itself on the plane home! For the recitals i'm playing:

Grieg: Four Pieces Op.1
Schumann Abegg Variations
Grieg Sonata In E minor
INTERVAL
Mozart Sonata In B-flat K.570
Ravel Jeu D'eaux
Grieg Holberg Suite.

My CD is all Grieg, hence I'm playing a mostly Grieg prog. The other pieces have a connection: Grieg was a friend of the Schumanns (a great admirer too), A HUGE Mozart fan, and an influence on (despite their claims) the Impressionists, being an impressionist before the impressionists.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

That sounds like fantastic program!
I have to say that I haven't played much Grieg - it's just a shame that you're not coming to Northern Ireland as part of your tour! I really would have liked to hear you performing!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

find me a place to play and i'll get over there! I think there are direct flights from Dundee to Belfast although they may have stopped now.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

markymark wrote: I'd have a packet of anti-septic or alcohol wipes beside the piano and wipe down keys
Is the alcohol not damaging to the finish on the keys though? I don't suppose you could use alcohol wipes on keys that are syntheic ivory... :?:
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Moonlight wrote:Is the alcohol not damaging to the finish on the keys though? I don't suppose you could use alcohol wipes on keys that are syntheic ivory... :?:
I was really joking but I wouldn't have thought so - I've never done it so I don't know. Because they are alcohol and don't contain much of it, the alcohol won't absorb into the key top but will evaporate quickly. I would check though if you want to use them on your piano.
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

dave brum wrote:I was up at 5.30 this morning wiping more bloody cat puke from the key cover of my treasured YDP 131.

Is this grounds for divorce, I wonder :?: :?
When I was slightly younger, I had an ep of UB40's Red Red Wine. I was sloppy and left it out of its sleeve, under my bed and my dear old mog was sick on it. Ever after, when I hear that song, I expect to hear the grungy bit where I never washed it all out of the grooves....

Sorry, Dave, I hope Fiona isn't too upset. It isn't grounds for divorce, it's grounds for hairball remedy.

Love,
Jan
xx
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Dave: the cat wants you to get an acoustic...:D
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Or maybe it would have preferred a CLP380 with PE finish!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

your cat pukes alot, isn't she well? Put some polythene over your piano for a while when you're not playing it.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Yeah Dave your cats are always pucking!

If I were you I would try to stop the cats from sleeping on it, maybe put some clutter on it that would be annoying for a cat but safe for the piano.
If you covered it with polythene the cats might even like it more! Whenever I put a piece of paper or a plasitc bag down my cat just loves to lie down on it :? .

I'm happy he doens't have hair balls even though he is semi-longhair, maybe you could try brushing them more, to remove some lose hairs.
The fist time my cat went on my Clav he sliped off the dust cover and scratched it! so hes not allowed on it, but he does like to sit just above the pedals as theres a space there.
Katmid
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Katmid »

So, Dave, you have two cats called Sophie and Sarah? Who's Fiona? :?:
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

what would my pianos be called? I have a Brodmann BG-187 and a Bluthner Style 8. I'm not sure what gender they are but I think they change as the mood suits them :wink:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Joseph; how about Brodie and Bluey? :)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

dave brum wrote:Fiona is my own saft little pet name for my Yamaha YDP131! Not my lady wife - was you thinking I was MARRIED to Fiona!
Ahhh but aren't we ALL married to our pianos in some way or another? :)
Well people who are really into pianos like me and you Dave!

My piano doesn't have a name, I'm not too sure what to call it as I really want to buy a much nicer piano when I go back to work. I sometimes call it Casanova the Clavinova! :lol: but its hardly not that much of a sexy beast! :lol: :lol:

Actually if I ever have a lovely looking black grand I might just call it that! if I had a nice old upright I might call it Ludwig in tribute to one of my favorite composers.

just Googled your pianos you have Joseph, they look really nice! is the Brodmann BG-187 you have a grand? ( thats what came up on the images ) very nice! :D
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

yeah its the 187 I have. To be honest, I'd have preferred something a bit more expensive, but this is the best I could afford. That aside, it has an excellent tone by any yardstick- really warm and very responsive. The action is quite good, but it needs a bit more regulation than a more expensive piano. The soundboard, strings and hammer heads are as good as on any instrument. I have a Steinway certified technician looking after it and he says that it should last me a number of years before it needs any major work done on it which is comforting.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

No, mine's called a P121N - that's enough!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Yes well betwen P121N, CP300 and my Sonar electric toothbrush you could be forgivien for thinking that!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i know what you mean marky - i like my pianos, but i don't really feel any emotional attachment to them. Is that wrong? I guess not, they're only machines after all - they're replaceable. Machines upon which beautiful things are possible, but machines nonetheless!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Well neither am I really Joseph - I don't make mistakes (:wink:) so I guess it isn't wrong to be unemotionally attached to your instrument

They are purely functional but dear help the first person that comes near it with a cup of coffee or a glass of red wine! :x

I like my black polyester finish, polished and pristeen if for no other reason than to prevent me from looking bad when visitors come in!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Well, I'm not too sure if I have a strong emotional attchment to my Clavinova, I haven't had it that long ( 4 months? ) and I am already thinking about getting another when I get back to work and save!

The Clavs really just my 'temporary' or 'nightime pratice' one.
Its the music I play, thats what I have the strong emotional attchment to.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Thats ok no need to apologise! :wink:

I can completely understand what you mean about the emotinal attchment with it - after all when playing, the piano should be an extension of yourself or a least something in which to project your personality into.
yourforte
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by yourforte »

I've had many a bad experience with my pupils and their bogeys. Some like to draw them back discreetly down the keys, some like to pretend they're not there at all, some deny that the bogey originally came from their own nose. Once, when I went back into the room where people wait for their lesson, I found a wet and extensive bogey strewn across one of my brand new chintz curtain tails. I had to let it dry before scraping it off.

Bogeys do have their uses however: I know of a teacher who uses 'Every Green Bogey Deliciously Flavoured' as a mnemonic for the lines of the treble stave...

Elaine
Regard music as a precious gift. See me at www.yourforte.net. Elaine
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

No, she has a room where people wait. Might be a kitchen/loo/shed!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hey Gill ( sorry this is completely off topic )

Guess what I ( my mum ) got a Tanzanite ring today. Got it really cheap in Hatton Gardens, was 700 quid managed to get it for 400. Its a beauty, and has to diamons either side of it.

I feel like puting all my mums rings on and playing Goldberg Variations! :lol: :lol: :lol: :P ( if I could play them )
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Go for it; complete ringfest AND finger workout. Bliss.... :D
yourforte
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by yourforte »

Quite right: it's just another room..
yourforte
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by yourforte »

Oh, I forgot to add, whatever room my pupils wait in, there's always a box of tissues now.