Kawai price variation

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

major corbin dallas
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kawai price variation

Post by major corbin dallas »

Okay Ladies and Gentlemen, a request for information.

40th Birthday rapidly approaching. The wonderful Mrs Dallas has agreed to the purchase of an Upright piano to celebrate the occasion. I am 80 percent certain that it will be a new Kawai K6.

I have been quoted between 4750 pounds and 6399 pounds.

Any ideas why the huge variation ? I have read comments about buying from the internet, and how the cheaper prices don't include any kind of warranty, or recourse, should a fault occur. I understand that, but it is such a huge difference (1600 pounds) that it makes me wonder if there is a back door that dodgy Kawais are being let in via. I am not looking for the cheapest price - just keen to know a bit more, before horse trading.

I have read lots about the second hand Yamaha market but does anyone know any inside knowledge about new Kawais ?

Regards

Dallas
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Why the huge price variation ?

Post by PianoGuy »

major corbin dallas wrote:
40th Birthday rapidly approaching. The wonderful Mrs Dallas has agreed to the purchase of an Upright piano to celebrate the occasion. I am 80 percent certain that it will be a new Kawai K6.
I hate you. Number one, you're a bl**dy Youngster, and two, you have a wife good enough to buy you such a wonderful present. Not to mention the rubber clothing and the fact that you copped off with that Jojovich bird in the only film where she is an undisputed stunner. In spite of my jealousy I will try and give you fair and reasonable advice, because that's the kind of Guy I am.
major corbin dallas wrote: Any ideas why the huge variation ? I have read comments about buying from the internet, and how the cheaper prices don't include any kind of warranty, or recourse, should a fault occur. I understand that, but it is such a huge difference (£1600) that it makes me wonder if there is a back door that dodgy Kawais are being let in via. I am not looking for the cheapest price - just keen to know a bit more, before horse trading.

I have read lots about the second hand Yamaha market but does anyone know any inside knowledge about new Kawais ?
There is no grey market Kawai shenanigans going on AFAIK, so one has to assume that all pianos are coming in thru Kawai UK. Warranty should be valid on all of them and Kawai are excellent with aftersales back-up. Price variation may have something to do with the overheads of the business in question, but frankly I'm surprised at the variation since the competitive edge is generally absent between Kawai dealers. Kawai are not known for their discounts.

Can you post (or PM me) the prices offered and tell me the dealers that offered them? Names aren't necessary if you want to keep them anonymous but indicate general geographical area and whether a high street shop or industrial estate warehouse? I may be able to work out why there's such a variation.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why the huge price variation ?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

PianoGuy wrote: Can you post (or PM me) the prices offered and tell me the dealers that offered them? Names aren't necessary if you want to keep them anonymous but indicate general geographical area and whether a high street shop or industrial estate warehouse? I may be able to work out why there's such a variation.
Has Kawai like Yamaha just put up their prices by quite a lot so the lower price could be pre price change to shift stock if you look on the net not all of the Yamaha dealers have put their prices up yet

As to the warehouse boys Kawai has refused to supply 3 of them using the % of market ploy

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Also find out by ringing Kawai UK if they are suppying the discount dealer. Or is it a dealer going bust bailing out stock asap. If so be careful as they are the people who will cover your guarantee.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

1) web dealer selling all over the country with little backup or service - piano in a box. (any reference to specific dealers is not implied)
2) dealer with a brick and mortar shop, plenty of experienced and knowledgable staff, good after sales support and well prepped pianos
3) Someone just trying to find out what they can get away with and still sell.
4) as Barry sez, some dealers still have pre-price increase stock, others are working on the premise of what they need to pay if they order now.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

Hi Major Corbin,

I have a Kawai K6 (with sostenuto and lever operated practice rail fitted), purchased from Pianoforte in Faringdon in Dec 06 for just under 6k all told. If you have not already tried there I would thoroughly recommend them - they were very helpful whilst unobtrusive and had a good range of instruments to play and compare.

Other than that I am trying to get mine replaced by insurance company following flood damage I can happily report that the K6 is a beautiful instrument with a lovely tone. More mellow sounding than the, I guess, equivalent U3/YUS3 Yamaha models with a lovely rich bass and tenor and a clear clean sounding treble (possibly a little too bright right at the top).

My tuner/technician is impressed with the build quality and components used in the K6 - it's a really nice instrument for the price :) I am sure I could probably have haggled the price on my down a fair bit but am every bit happy even having paid the £6k for mine.

Enjoy your lovely birthday present :)