Bluthner piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Horses
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Bluthner piano

Post by Horses »

Hi, I have an upright Bluthner piano, I was wondering if you have any idea of the age of it. The serial number is 16796. We are private antique piano collectors who have over 20 pre-1900's pianos and would like ages on them. Thank you.
Bill Kibby

Bluthner

Post by Bill Kibby »

The dates published in various "Piano Atlases" for Bluthners' numbers are not entirely accurate, this one suggests about 1878, but Welmars have been importing Bluthner pianos since before then, and information which they very kindly supplied to me suggests 1881. Have a look at the Numbers page at www.PianoGen.org
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
david g
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by david g »

How interesting to have over 20 pre-1900's pianos!

Your Bluthner is just a shade younger than mine, which has the number 16189. I was advised by Bluthner that the date of my piano was 1881.
Bill Kibby

Bluthner

Post by Bill Kibby »

The numbers are a shade the other way, but 1881 seems likely, although the following scenario is an illustration of the kind of problems which can often occur when attempting to place a single date on a piano:

1900 The iron frame is designed, ordered in bulk, and cast with a datemark.
1902 A patent is applied for.
1904 The action is manufactured, and stamped with a number.
1905 The keys are completed, and dated on a label.
1906 The piano is completed, and stamped with a number.
1908 The piano reaches the retailer.
1911 The piano is sold.

What is the date of this piano?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
david g
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by david g »

Bill, I am not quite sure what you meant by "The numbers are a shade the other way" - can you clarify?

Re your example, I appreciate the complexity! Personally, I would place the date of the piano as being when the serial number is allocated. Presumably 1906 in this example. Just my view of things!
Bill Kibby

Bluthner

Post by Bill Kibby »

David said his was a shade younger, but it is a shade older, although they are probably both 1881.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
drg2217
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by drg2217 »

Horses, if you are still reading this, I would love to see a picture of your Bluthner.