Wiry tone

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Wiry tone

Post by Openwood »

We had one particular note on a Yam C7 that had an unpleasant 'wiry' edge the sound. You may recall I posted some increasingly desperate please for advice last year! We were very fortunate to obtain the services of an excellent technician and he diagnosed it as a voicing issue. He fixed it, so obviously he was right, but I still don't understand how the problem came about in the first place and why it only happened on one note.

The note in question was the B-natural above middle C, which is where the agraffes stop; I wondered if that would have anything to do with it?

Does anyone know what might be responsible for causing that kind of sound?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Could be a lot of things repeated hard trill on one note by a student is one, or a spill in the action.

Ask them at Bridgewater Hall about spill in the action one brand new shiny D just out of the box bunch of flowers given to the Artist which were keeping in a bucket of water to keep them fresh and drip drip all on the hammers

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

:cry:
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Well I am very pleased to hear that you were able to have the problem taken care of, and now we know what it was. Voicing ordinarily has nothing to do with there being agraffes or not (unless there is a string rattle in one), it is to do with with felt density and the distribution of tension and compression in the hammer for the most part. As you mentioned that the note had some sort of problem from new it is possible that the felt had some small defect in it from the begining.

Tom Tuner
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully the problem is all in the past now but if we get any recurrence I will get the felt checked.