How old is my newly purchased Kawai

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

victording

How old is my newly purchased Kawai

Post by victording »

I just bought a Kawai K25 from a local dealer, and when I signed the paper it was stated brand new and the serial number was 2492593. However, when the piano was delivered today, I found the serial number was changed to 2480969, about 10 thousand older. I understand that you have a place to check how old a Yamaha piano is by its serail number. Do you also have such a website to show how old a Kawai is? Please help me on this.

Thank you!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

First of all I would take issue with the dealer go back into the shop and see if the piano with number 2492593 is still there. With large dealers the is a common practice but normally with the cheep makes as they well prep the one on the shop floor and you get a lees prepped one from stock, I must admit I have never seen this done on midrange pianos. I always advise my clients to make a note of the serial number and make a point of letting the sales person see you have done this.

As to age, pianos can sit for a long time so don’t surprised if the piano is up to 4 year old.

As to looking up your S/n, published dates start at 1996 = 2244232, 1995 = 2197503 and 1994 = 2160743. So your piano is about a year or so older than the one you think you should have got – you will need to contact Kawai for the correct date of manufacture

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
victording

Post by victording »

Thank you, Berrie!

The original S# was actually written on my invoice by the dealer, but it was crossed out by the dealer on their copy and replaced with the second S# when piano was delivered. I called them today, and they said both were brand new pianos. It was just when they opened the box they opened another one, so they changed the S#. Since the two pianos are about only 4 months apart, I guess the dealer is telling the truth. I also sent an email message to Kawai to make sure about the year of production.

Really appreciate for your help!

Victor
Bill Kibby

Kawai

Post by Bill Kibby »

The following scenario is an illustration of the kind of problems which can occur in some instances:

1900 The iron frame is designed, ordered in bulk, and cast with a datemark.
1904 The action is manufactured, and stamped with a number.
1905 The keys are completed, and dated on a label.
1906 The piano is manufactured, and stamped with a number.
1908 The piano reaches the retailer.
1911 The piano is sold.

What is the date of this piano?
Last edited by Bill Kibby on 07 Sep 2007, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
richarddale
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by richarddale »

things were pretty leisurely in those days!

I would date the piano at 1906 in that scenario
Bill Kibby

Kawai

Post by Bill Kibby »

I wouldn't know about Kawai, but I don't want you to run away with the idea that this scenario only applied in 1900, it's fairly typical from 1870 to 1970, otherwise there'd be no point in mentioning it.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info