anyone know a good restorer?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

clueless about pianos

anyone know a good restorer?

Post by clueless about pianos »

hi there
i am not a piano player yet, although it is my ambition to learn, but my family has just invested in a secondhand boudoir grand (need to check out the make) but she has been well used in the past (i understand the piano was thumping out hymns and ballet-class favourites at a girls' school) and needs some TLC. the things i have been told that need fixing are:

damage on the casing
the strings may need a look
there is at least one dodgy key
it may need refelting

can anyone recommend a good value restorer preferably in the south east? would love your expert input. thanks! :?:
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

this all sounds expensive, you would have been better buying a new one or one in better condition. The casework alone will outstrip the value of the grand.
Get a local tuner in who will give you a good report on its condition. Old grands are going very cheaply or being dumped as the cost of renovation is getting too high compared to new. Only the known German makes are worth spending the cash.
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

If you can tell us the make and length of it we could give better advice. Pianos are like cars, they wear out with use but some were better made than others.
You may be better contacting a local tuner for his or her assessment than on here which can only be generic advice.