Marshall and Rose

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

DavidKay

Marshall and Rose

Post by DavidKay »

Hello, I'm trying to identify the age of my recently acquired oldish upright piano but I can't find any serial numbers whatsover anywhere. Could anyone indicate any other characteristics I should be looking for to help identify its age. The piano tuner I bought it from suggested 50's to 70's. I'll list the only markings on it I have found:

On lid: 'Marshall & Rose'
Frame, top right: 'Marshall & Rose'
Frame, top left:'Sir Herbert Marshall & Sons Mfrs London'
Frame, bottom right: 'U 50' (where the 'U' is strangely square)

Width:54"
Height:44"
Depth:21"

I'd be delighted to submit some digital photos of any aspect of it, just specify what you'd need.

It is a make that seems only seldomly discussed on the internet so I was wondering if any tuners here would have any anecdotal evidence of the general quality of Marshall & Rose uprights. It's condition appears very good having had some partial reconditioning and I am hoping it will suffice my son for his first few years of tuition.
Bill Kibby

M&R

Post by Bill Kibby »

Dates of their serial numbers are published, if you can find the number, otherwise have a look at the Datemarks page at www.pianogen.org where the Numbers page also mentions Marshall & Rose numbers. From at least 1928 to 1980 the first two digits represent the year, so 50,000 would be 1950. These are usually good-quality pianos, but everything depends on your tuner's inspection.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info