Henry Herbert upright

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

WinstonChurchill
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Henry Herbert upright

Post by WinstonChurchill »

Hi Bill,

My mum's curious about the age of her Henry Herbert upright, serial number 2733. The fall board reads:

Henry Herbert
-- Toronto --
From The Mason & Risch Piano Co. L'td. Toronto

And thoughts? Cheers...
Bill Kibby

Herbert

Post by Bill Kibby »

If that is the correct number, all we can say is it is before 1910. Numbers are not always as simple as people like to think, see the Numbers link at www.pianogen.org
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
pianotech

Post by pianotech »

Have a look on the soundboard to the left of the action. Henry Herbert was made by Mason & Risch. Mason & Risch products often had a second serial number ( the real one) stamped into the soundboard in this location. If there is a number there then, that is the one you need to date this piano.

WinstonChurchill
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by WinstonChurchill »

Thanks guys -- very interesting. The image below shows what I think is the serial number. This matches the number that's stamped into various of the piano's removable bits.

This image shows the area to the left of the action, which doesn't seem to have any other number:

It also shows the unfortunate condition that this piano is in, after years of being ignored in my grandmother's sitting room! What a shame...
pianotech

Post by pianotech »

Then in that case it ws built in 1900