Erard grand in Colorado

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Molpie123

Erard grand in Colorado

Post by Molpie123 »

I recently discovered an early 20th c. Erard grand piano (Paris - serial no. 88608) in the lobby of a Colorado hotel. It is beautifully distinct on the outside, with all sorts of elaborate inlays, etc., but it appears to be in rough shape on the inside (rusted/corroded strings, SB with several, full-length cracks, water damage, dampers deeply grooved and out of alignment, etc. etc. etc.). On the one hand, it is sad to me when an instrument becomes an inert showpiece - a pretty piece of furniture. On the other hand, I would guess that to make this instrument play again would involve an enormous amount of work (and money) and, on top of that, would fundamentally alter the character of the instrument. I wonder about the realistic results of such an endeavor - whether it could be distinct enough of an instrument to warrant anyone even considering this. I know that Erards, particularly from this era, must be relatively common in the UK, but they certainly are not in the states, and especially not in Colorado. Though whether or not to invest such money and effort into this instrument is certainly not my decision, I'd love to hear what people's opinions are about this. This is a somewhat different situation than others presented on this forum in that it is not a matter of someone wanting to acquire an instrument - new or rebuilt. It is a matter of having a beautiful piece of furniture, or having a beautiful piece of furniture that is also an INSTRUMENT- and possibly one that is unique enough, in the geographical area in which it resides, to warrant musical interest.

Second question. The instrument, though seemingly in rough shape, appears to have its original strings and parts. Is this instrument unique enough to justify preserving it as a historic document, of sorts?

Third question. Does anyone happen to know of anyone in the Western USA who might be qualified to examine and/or work on such an instrument? I know most of you are a half a world away, but I did find a reference on this forum to someone in Canada, and I figured it couldn't hurt to at least ask. While there is some interest in "early" keyboards around here (meaning harpsichords, essentially), I have yet to find many local resources in the way of historic pianos... Suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you!

By the way, I do have pictures of this instrument, and various notes, for anyone is interested in more specific info...

Molly
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

I would ask the same question on http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
They would advise you of the nearest tuner technician, to give you an assessment based on inspection.
It will not be cheap.
Bill Kibby

Erard

Post by Bill Kibby »

Question one is impossible to answer without being there on the spot.

Question two: There is nothing especially unusual about a hundred-year old piano being in original condition, I tune some Erards, Broadwoods, etc. that are 140 years old, still tuneable, with original strings and hammers etc.. My own feeling about museum instruments is that when I open up an antique, I don't want to see it shining like a new pin, I like to see the original finishes, parts etc., and see how well it has survived, even if it is not performing well, it is the history which is most important.

Question three: I don't know anyone over there.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Molpie123

Post by Molpie123 »

Thanks for the link - I'm giving it a try...
Molly