Nomenclature

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Nomenclature

Post by Openwood »

I've always wanted to use that word.

The thing is, I'd like to know if there's an industry standard method of describing notes in their different octaves on the keyboard.

For example, if I wanted to say to my tuner "WHY HAVEN'T YOU FIXED THAT BLOODY IRRITATING METALLIC SOUND ON THE B NATURAL ABOVE MIDDLE C?????" - what would be the correct way of describing that particular key?

I saw on a clavinova that the bottom note was called A0, the octave above A1 etc but is that the usual way? I've also seen FF-g3. What can it all mean? I can't rest until I know - I shall never again sleep until the mystery is solvzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Nomenclature

Post by PianoGuy »

Openwood wrote:I've always wanted to use that word.

The thing is, I'd like to know if there's an industry standard method of describing notes in their different octaves on the keyboard.
It's different for digitals and keyboards from real pianos. Yamaha describe keys on digitals as you have described above, but acoustic piano keys are always referred to by number, so the bottom note A on the keyboard is A1, the top A is A85, the top C on most pianos (now they're 7 and a quarter octaves) is C88. Middle C is therefore C40.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I've seen musicologists use C for middle c (I think), then, going up, cc,ccc,cccc, etc, and CC, CCC CCCC going down. I've also seen c', c'', etc., and C' C'', etc..
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

I believe that it is mostly referring to organs that that format is used. Until about 20 years ago pianos always started A1 A#2,..., then someone started numberering by octaves: A0, A#0, B0, C1, etc. , very confusing.

Tom Tuner
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

So basically there isn't one standard system. Funny old world ain't it...

Historic day at Chateau Openwood - I got a personal loan approved so I can finally buy a new C3. Dithered about it for SO long, finally summoned enough courage to make a serious financial commitment. OMIGOD!!!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well we hope you'll both be very happy! Ooo, I love a happy ending, me...
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

nomencature

Post by A440 »

Sorry to continue this thread but being a pedant...
Yes Yamaha ARE very confusing with their a0 etc. I've never come across it before. The easiest (and dare I say correct method) is simply A1 for the first A through to the top A8. This should be the universal system (in my humble etc...)
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Andy - is that a Yamaha chart, then? It does seem odd to give a key a zero suffix. I suppose the solution is simply to ensure you and your technician are using the same system, whatever it may be.

Odd that such a fundamental point of reference isn't standardised.
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

It's from a www.vibrationdata.com tutorial though is used on various sites:

http://www.vibrationdata.com/piano.htm

Regards

Andy