Yamaha b1 or....

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

milkorwater

Yamaha b1 or....

Post by milkorwater »

Sorry, I know from reading through the forum that this topic has been covered before, but I have a seven-year old who has just started learning piano. I play guitar, but very little piano and don't really trust my own judgement when it comes to buying a piano :roll:.

I have looked at three "entry level" new instruments - the Yamaha b1 (GBP1450), the Steinmayer S108 (GBP1795), and the Waldstein 108M (GBP1695) - all of them in black. There was also a Reid Sohn at ?1800 but I can't recall the model I'm afraid.

The dealer who had the Yamaha and the Waldstein recommended the Waldstein, though I wonder whether that was because the margins are so low on the Yamaha but, to be honest, they all sounded much the same to me.

Any thoughts anyone? I originally was going to look at second-hand, but that seems even more of a minefield.

Also, the Steinmayer dealer would let me rent before purchasing, which is tempting, but not a deal-maker.

Thanks.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

For me it would be the B1 or the Reid Sohn, the Reid Sohn will need more work out of the box than the B1. You are correct about the mark up if at a later date you intent to upgrade then the B1 is a better option. Also, prices are going up on Yamahas in 2 weeks and I bet most retailers will apply the new prices to current B1 stock

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Barrie Heaton wrote:Also, prices are going up on Yamahas in 2 weeks and I bet most retailers will apply the new prices to current B1 stock

Barrie,
They may as well. There are none at Yamaha HQ.
Not much of anything really.

Ominous I reckon.

Still, the trade price on the b1 is too high for such a low rrp. Bugger all profit really at list considering how good they are. Rrp should be 2295 for the b1. It's significantly better than the C110 it replaced, and almost certainly costs more to produce, yet retail list price is 100 quid cheaper before discounts. Trade price however is higher than the C110 was. No profit pianos. Makes no sense.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Wile I would agree that the discounting is madness and giving the fact that the B1s coming into the UK now needs more prep work compared to the ones that came into the UK last April make it even more crazy.

I will PM you with the trade prices I have as they don’t match your sums

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Thanks Barrie, I stand corrected, but still at trade vs. rrp, the profit margin is smaller to start with. I realise some dealers buy so many they qualify for a discount, but this is getting to be Tescoesque in nature.

I thought that trade prices were higher on the b1. Still, the rrp is too low I reckon.

I've got no problem with sensible discounts, but things are getting very silly. I'm just glad I'm not in retail.
milkorwater

Post by milkorwater »

Thanks for your replies.

PianoGuy, would I be right in presuming you would go for the Yamaha then? I am leaning that way but I have to admit it is a combination of the heavily discounted price and the Yamaha brand that is guiding me. My intention would be to keep this piano for a few years then upgrade to something a bit larger as my daughter progresses, especially if I learn to play properly myself.

Great forum, by the way - interesting even for a non-pianist like myself.

:D
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

PianoGuy wrote: I've got no problem with sensible discounts, but things are getting very silly. I'm just glad I'm not in retail.
Two large retailers have gone in to liquidation in the last 12 months, owing buyers money. Who sadly paid good money at their website have now lost out. That is not good for the music trade

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

milkorwater wrote:Thanks for your replies.

PianoGuy, would I be right in presuming you would go for the Yamaha then? I am leaning that way but I have to admit it is a combination of the heavily discounted price and the Yamaha brand that is guiding me. My intention would be to keep this piano for a few years then upgrade to something a bit larger as my daughter progresses, especially if I learn to play properly myself.
Yes, I'd lean that way too, even at list price. It's the best in this company, and tragic that dealers feel that they even need to be discounted. They're worth every penny of list price.

When you come to sell in a few years' time, don't expect fabulous residual values on any of them though. At least Yamaha will be a known brand to sell on.

None of your shortlist is disastrous. The Waldstein is a very run of the mill Chinese piano in spite of claims to excellence from dealers of prestige instruments in the South East. It's Pearl River's cooking model, (see what I did there??) and the Steinmayer is somewhat worse. Reid Sohns have ridiculously tight wrestpins which mean that they're a pain to tune, but quality is OK otherwise.

At this level, you'll not get perfection, but you should get a cheerful sound!
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Yamaha b1

Post by A440 »

As a retailer who 'bought into the Yamaha dream' I think the B1s are really rubbish. Play them next to any piano and they are very poor indeed.