Poor Old G & R

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Poor Old G & R

Post by A440 »

I was so saddened to see poor old G&R piano removers holding their heads after dropping the 9foot bosendorfer off the back of their lorry in all the papers today!
WHOOPS!!!
Every piano mover has their favorite G&R story, it's a wonder they've never been caught in action on film before!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

They've not had that much luck recently, what with that and their truckful of Steinways going up in flames.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

When? Where? Tell me more!
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Burnt steinways

Post by A440 »

It seems they were going along the motorway with a large shipment of pianos (mainly Steinways from CHPs) when the whole lot caught fire. Some of the pianos were irreplacable and no amount of insurance money could solve the problem. G & R tried hard to wriggle out of their resonsibilities but in the end paid up around half a million pounds in compensation.
From what I hear poor old G & R cannot go anywhere now without people talking about 'the famous dropping'.
They need to change the company's name. If only it were that easy to change their working practices!
Otto
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Otto »

I've only ever moved uprights, but when I saw the picture of the Bosendorfer removals shortly before the accident I wondered if it wasn't inevitable.

If you rememmber, the keyboard end of the Bosendorfer was on the hydraulic tailgate going down, while the tail was still on the bed of the lorry, staying still. They were moving the trolley around vaguely a couple of feet under the shoe. (why?)

I would have thought that you would have wanted to get ALL of the piano on the tailgate before dropping it down, or have I missed something?
Otto
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

I can't believe those smug videos!

The whole world knows that the original Bosie wasn't worth 45K and that it's hardly smashed into "hundreds of pieces". It's probably quite repairable. Anyway, after playing that S&S, they won't want a depreciating old Bosie anyway, they'll be after an S&S of the type they were outbid on at the auction.

How I detest media circuses making money out of minor disasters. I bet G&R's insurance company do too.