celeste pedal (youch)

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

dazed
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

celeste pedal (youch)

Post by dazed »

I recently bought a U1 and was relying on the celeste pedal for late night practice but have never used one before. Volume-wise it's fine but the sound generated makes my teeth jangle - I just can't listen to it for more than a few minutes (think ring-modulation on a syntheiser if I remember correctly). I would be more than happy with a toneless clunk - can I get the felt replaced with something else that will not damage strings/hammers to give me a different or no tone - like cardboard for example :-)

Is is just me...!?
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I've been boring everybody senseless on the subject of celeste pedals in an earlier thread - what a fantastic chance to get back on the old hobby horse! I find them invaluable on the school pianos where I work because when the (rather hopefully named, in my opinion) 'celeste' pedal is engaged it is possible for other things to go on in the same room.

Having said that, I do wonder if your neighbours would be completely appeased in the wee small hours. In my experience a celeste pedal certainly reduces the volume (and without any of the nasty jangling you're experiencing) but not to the extent that I'd imagined. I've also found that the muffling effect is not even across the keyboard - but then I am talking about school pianos which haven't always been treated with subdued reverence over the years - perhaps the ones at work are just knackered.

It would be interesting (ok, ok - mildy diverting for a bit) to know how useful other people have found celeste pedals. If I were getting a piano for late night practice I must admit I'd go for a Yamaha Silent Series any day, sorry, night of the week.