Sticking hammer

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Nyiregyhazi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Sticking hammer

Post by Nyiregyhazi »

Hi,

The piece of material had come off one of the hammers on my piano, but the key generally worked fine anyway. Anyway, I thought I'd try to fix it so earlier today I opened it up and managed to put the thing back together, but since then the hammer is sticking against the string when I play loudly and stopping the sound.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Andrew
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Sound like you fixed a tape but got the jack jammed under the cushion so it is blocking instead of setting off, but that is just a guess its hard to say with out seeing the piano. Can you give us a close up photo of the note

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Nyiregyhazi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Nyiregyhazi »

Hi,

Sorry for not replying before. What part would you need to see exactly and from what angle? From looking at it closely, I can't see anything that looks likely to be revealing. My piano is an old over-damped Bluthner. I can't see anything that immediately looks different from any other notes and I'm not sure if a photo would be very revealing (it's not easy to get an angle that shows too much).

Is the jack the piece of the wood set the hammer off? I just fixed the low A on my piano which also had a problem with the strap. I think the same problem may have come on that one too. The sheer weight of sound down there means the note doesn't stop but I believe the hammer is damping it slightly. What should I be looking for when replacing the action for the note? I couldn't see anything that looked likely to make a difference when putting it back in, but perhaps I missed something? I just slid the jack under the rail to put it back.

Andrew
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Straight low down and then we can take for there
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page