Kallen 110 Straightfoot Black Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

courtesy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kallen 110 Straightfoot Black Piano

Post by courtesy »

I was browsing an auction room recently with the usual house-clearances. There are a few old pianos which are no good but there is a brand new Kallen piano (I think it is the model KA110-K-7 from their website). Is Kallen any good as a brand? Apparently they're based in Shanghai. The auction is tomorrow and I'm tempted to bid...
Courtesy costs little and is worth a lot!
courtesy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Is Kallen the same as Strauss...?

Post by courtesy »

Well, in the end didn't bother going to the auction. The Kallen pianos are made in Shanghai and I remember asking before about another piano called Strauss (also made in Shanghai - by the same company?) which someone on the forum said was rubbish. I presume it's not worth considering new pianos unless they're well-known such as Yamah, Kemble etc. I did a search on goole using "Kallen" and "Review" and couldn't find anything!
Courtesy costs little and is worth a lot!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

It sounds like some Chinese company is trying to cash in with a near pass-off of the old British brand name of 'Challen'. Probably as you say, best avoided.

That esteemed old brand has now escaped the indignance of being cheapened by Messrs. Barratt & Robinson in the '60s only to be resurrected on nasty cheap Malaysian abominations. The couple I've seen have been totally untuneable courtesy of random bass strings and quality control of the absent type.