Yamaha or Strauss

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

courtesy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Yamaha or Strauss

Post by courtesy »

I bought a 1936 Crane & Sons piano six months ago (with the original ivories still intact!) and although once tuned I was happy enough with the sound I am tempted to buy a new piano. I've recently come into some money and have spied two new pianos I'm considering. One was a Yamaha B1 (polished black finish) which was ÂŁ1500 and the other was a Strauss (polished mahogany finish) for ÂŁ1100.

I preferred the finish of the Strauss and its keys seemed to be less slippery than the Yamaha. I did some research on the net and Strauss appear to be made by the Shanghai Piano Company (not J Strauss, a different company).

Which would be the better piano? Unfortunately, I don't know the model of the Strauss piano as the dealer was a little unpleasant and left me with the impression he thought I was a time-waster.

Also, is it possible to swap over the ivory keys from one piano to another or are they also different sizes etc? :roll:
Courtesy costs little and is worth a lot!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha or Strauss

Post by Barrie Heaton »

courtesy wrote:

Which would be the better piano? Unfortunately, I don't know the model of the Strauss piano as the dealer was a little unpleasant and left me with the impression he thought I was a time-waster.
A dealer I use to do some work for got 5 of them in I was not impressed at all they were shocking. That was a log time ago so they may have improved

courtesy wrote:
Also, is it possible to swap over the ivory keys from one piano to another or are they also different sizes etc? :roll:

You can but it all depends on the depth of the 2 keys if the one you are putting them on is shorter then OK but if longer you have problems, then there is the width.

I have done this a few times but it has always been on older piano to older piano.

I new set of ivory’s will cost about £1,200.00 +

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Yamaha or Strauss

Post by PianoGuy »

courtesy wrote:

I would personally shy away from buying anything at all from this dealer. If he can't show you some courtesy when you're about to give him a wedge of cash, then imagine how your warranty claims will be treated.

The b1 is the better piano by a Jakarta mile, but I would seriously advise against an ivory transplant unless you're going to employ a very skilled craftsman and put up with a void Yamaha warranty.
courtesy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Shocking Strauss Piano?

Post by courtesy »

Barrie, you said that years ago the Strauss pianos were shocking. In what way? Did they play bad or did the keys stick over time, case fall apart etc?
Courtesy costs little and is worth a lot!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

It was more what wasn’t wrong with them, Hmm...!! the castors were OK

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page