Care of polyester finish

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Care of polyester finish

Post by Openwood »

We have a new Yamaha C7 at work and despite using a high quality protective cover the polyester finish shows up lots of little 'scratches' in certain areas (they aren't very deep at all - more like patterns of faint lines). Can these be polished out with anything? Presumably this is a common cosmetic problem with polyester finishes? I see that Steinway produce an aerosol cleaner and cloth, but maybe it reduces any other brand of piano to a worthless heap of charred wood and twisted metal immediately upon contact?

Any advice gratefully received.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

poly is a modern finish and does not like spray cans of polish. The best way is to use T-cut and water. It acts like liquid sandpaper and removes very light scratches. You can also get cutting compound from car suppliers which comes in many different grades. Light scratches are common and nothing to worry about. Just becareful not get thestuff on the vitals bits like strings!
helmllwyn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by helmllwyn »

Hi,
I have just received a set of Cory cloths and polishes for my high gloss piano from www.pianocoversonline.co.uk. Seems to work fine. . and quick delivery too. they also have a few more interesting "knick-knacks" on their site, and a good selection of piano stools. Happy polishing!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

A dampened microfibre cloth does the job best with no chemicals or gunk. The best one is the E-Cloth. If the polyester gets heavily soiled then face it, you're just a mucky pup, but it can be cleaned with an alcohol based cleaner which evaporates easily (like the Yamaha Unicon polish that they used to supply free with every piano, but now costs a fortune even if you ask your dealer nicely for some).

Things like T-cut will do the job but you run the risk of hard to remove residues caking up between panels.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Many thanks for your responses. I had a look for e-cloths online - they make different cloths for different surfaces, do you know which one is best for the piano?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The bog-standard general purpose one!
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Bog-standard it is then! Thanks :D