Can you help ? (Advise on buying a piano)

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

ajsaddacs
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Can you help ? (Advise on buying a piano)

Post by ajsaddacs »

Hi,
I want to buy a piano for my family. My wife can play a little and she is quite a good singer. I don't play at all and am not very musical. We have two young boys(7 and 4) and we would like them to hear the piano at home so that they will hopefully come to like it and take and interest in it. We would pay for lessons for both. We live in a detached home in Aberdeen, but it is possible that we could move to a an apartment with neighbours all around.

We have Ł1500 to spend. We would be happy to buy a used piano. We would want what is generally accepted as the best make and model of piano for our budget.
We would like to keep the piano for at 10 years , but hopefully 20 and possible longer. We would have it tuned once per year and look after it. We would want the piano to be suitable for upto grade 8. We would like the piano to have a light touch for our children.
We would have the piano checked by a professional tuner before purchase.

We have 3 questions that we hope you can answer:
1. What make, model and age of piano would YOU consider?
2. Where would YOU buy the piano if you could not buy it locally ?
3. If you lived in a flat with neighbours living all around and wanted to play the piano late in the evening would you reconsider your answer to number 1 and if so what would you change it to?

yours sincerely
ajsaddacs
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can you help ? (Advise on buying a piano)

Post by Barrie Heaton »

ajsaddacs wrote:Hi,

We have 3 questions that we hope you can answer:
1. What make, model and age of piano would YOU consider?
That is like asking a mechanic what make model year car shold I buy - With a budget of 1500 you are limited
ajsaddacs wrote: 2. Where would YOU buy the piano if you could not buy it locally ?
With your budget you are limited it’s more who will sell me a piano at that price that will last 20 years
ajsaddacs wrote: 3. If you lived in a flat with neighbours living all around and wanted to play the piano late in the evening would you reconsider your answer to number 1 and if so what would you change it to?
Well Ideally you need a silent piano the new B1 has it fitted. However, it is over your Budget even if you get it from one of the big discounters I would save up if I was you

Or buy a digital (I will now go and wash my mouth out ) :shock:

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
ajsaddacs
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ajsaddacs »

Barrie,
Thank you very much for replying.

>That is like asking a mechanic what make model year >car shold I buy - With a budget of 1500 you are >limited
Please tell me what I am limited to.
The budget may be increased up to Ł1800.

Q2 was worded incorrectly - I meant to say where would YOU look to buy a used piano if you could not buy locally.

If we decided against the silent piano type, what piano makes and models would YOU consider initially?

Please bear in mind we are happy to buy a used piano.

All comments gratefully received.
Thanking you all in advance

sincerely
ajsaddacs
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Can you get a piano into your flat? Also consider that the delivery costs can be expensive and its also a time bomb, its going to cost getting it out. Can the floor take the weight? If its purpose built, then it will be OK, but if converted, might need to take a look. A silent piano would be the best way, to keep it silent as sound can vibrate a long the structure of a building and wake someone up, or a digital piano(NOT a keyboard!!) The more you spend, the better the quality of sound and touch. Yamaha and Kawai do some very good digital pianos, I personaly prefere the sound and touch of the Kawai but everyone is different. Secondhand silents are like gold dust, they are mostly imported Yams and old. But remember, you will have to get it moved and it might get damaged if access is difficult.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

ajsaddacs wrote:Barrie,
Thank you very much for replying.

>That is like asking a mechanic what make model year >car shold I buy - With a budget of 1500 you are >limited
Please tell me what I am limited to.
The budget may be increased up to Ł1800.
You would not be able to buy a silent piano However, you have a lot of possibilities with secondhand quite a few dealers near you are on this site in the database and offer a Guarantee on their secondhand pianos

If you buy Privately then pay a tuner to look at it and call Piano Logistic and find out the cost involved in taking a piano up to your flat Look at your lease some modern flats don’t allow pianos

On the Silent option you could get a good second hand piano and have a silent system fitted The Gabor one is very good, it can be fitted to most uprights there is a 88 and 85 note version

Barrie,
Last edited by Barrie Heaton on 28 Sep 2006, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
ajsaddacs
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ajsaddacs »

Barrie and everyone else thankyou for all your comments.

If I didn't choose the silent option then which make and model of piano (i know i'm pushing it here!)would you go for remembering that I am more than happy to buy from the used market ? Say my top price was Ł1800.

I think I would prefer to buy used privately as I think I have a better chance of a good piano cheaper there than from a dealer. I would of course have it checked by a professional piano tuner (who I don't know?).

If I then choose the silent option. I could just then buy the 'silencer' and have it fitted - any idea how much this would cost ?

Also would the 'silencer' system plus used piano be in theory a better option than the say the B1 or similar ?

Thank you very much
yours sincerely
ajsaddacs