Zimmermann Z1 / Z3

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

blackie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Zimmermann Z1 / Z3

Post by blackie »

Hi.....Has anyone got any views regarding Zimmermann uprights ?....
I think Gill likes them ( thx Gill :wink: )...but further opinions would be very much appreciated...
Blackie...
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I'd be interested to know too; I don't know anything about where they're built or the build quality (although it seems fine to me on a superficial level) but I really really like the sound and touch.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The current Zimmermann range is built by Bechstein in their main factory in Germany. There is very little difference in build quality to the Bechstein upright (main difference being pressure-bar rather than agraffe scale) and they're about half the price. A pianist would be hard pushed to tell the difference in actual playing quality.

In my opinion:

Bechstein = good quality high priced and poor value = don't bother
Zimmermann = 85% as good as Bechstein at 50% of the price = a bit of a bargain

Other notable Bechstein built pianos include:

W.Hoffmann which are probably built in a former Eastern European location. Bechstein are coy about this and state "European factory" for which I cynically read as "Former brown-coal works in downtown Erfurt" or similar. I've never seen a current Hoffmann, but I would not expect them to be the high quality instruments that up until recently came from the Braunschweig factory, rather a cheap Irmler-style mediocre effort.

Euterpe. The product of Samick's stake in Bechstein, so probably made in Korea or Indonesia.

Bechstein also market a cheap Chinese effort built in the Samick-Bechstein Shanghai factory called Wilh.Steinmann which is about as good as a standard Pearl River or Dongbei at a much higher price. Leave well alone - not because they're poor, but you can buy cheaper. (Wendl & Lung etc)
blackie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Zimmermann Z1 / Z3

Post by blackie »

Thanks for that information....
Do you know the names of suppliers in the uk ?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Where in the UK are you?
blackie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Zimmermann Z1 / Z3

Post by blackie »

i'm in Bedfordshire...
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Jaques Samuel of London are Bechstein agents and therefore will stock Zimmermann, as do Pianofortein Oxfordshire, both of which are about an hour or so from Bedfordshire.

I have a feeling that Bechstein, once imported by Samuel's are now part of the Inter-Music empire, so a web inquiry via their site may be fruitful.

Good luck in tracking one down!
Jerome
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Jerome »

The Zimmermann Z1 struck me as a bit mellower than a Bechstein 124 and with a slightly lighter action when I tried one but not sure if this is representative. It was certainly a very nice piano and as PG says much more reasonably priced than the equivalent Bech model. I have also come across a Bechstein Academy 124 which was (comparatively) reasonable - not sure what the build quality is like on this?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Jerome wrote: I have also come across a Bechstein Academy 124 which was (comparatively) reasonable - not sure what the build quality is like on this?
Should be good. I think it's a cheapened version of the Model 11 using the same back. How reasonable is "reasonable"? !!
Jerome
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Jerome »

The one I saw was more like Zimmermann price than regular Bechstein price, so depends on one's view of 'reasonable'!!
helmllwyn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by helmllwyn »

I would try Coach House pianos in Swansea as well, They are very good on pricing and prep the pianos thoroughly before they leave the shop. I will find the telephone number for you as they are not on the web. (or do a search on this site)
helmllwyn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by helmllwyn »

Just found the number for Coach House Pianos,. . . 01792 584 584 . Give them a ring, as they the most helpful people you could hope to meet, and if they have what you are looking for will do you a good deal. Best of luck with your search,
Elizabeth
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Jerome wrote:The one I saw was more like Zimmermann price than regular Bechstein price, so depends on one's view of 'reasonable'!!
That's cheap then!!