Rusted piano wires

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Timothy2005
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Rusted piano wires

Post by Timothy2005 »

Hi Everyone. I have a Yamaha C3 that has some slightly rusted piano wires. Can anyone suggest where I might be able to get hold of a rust removing rubber, I’ve look all over the place, but with no joy. Failing that is there any other way of removing the rust. I’ve heard of people using WD40 :?: Also the base wires are a little dull and wondered whether there was any way of brightening them up, without causing any damage and that was within the remit of someone who is competent, but not by any means an expert.
Many thanks
Tim
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

String Rubbers can be obtained from both UK Supply Houses but a big word of warning they are very abrasive and if used can cases the string to be false of course there is the cosmetic bit the rubbers will make the strings nice and shiny but at a price . As to the bass string there is nothing you can do that will not affect the tone of the strings A lot of rust will make the strings false as well

If you live by the seaside and the salt air is casing the problem you can get string blanket

As to WD40 that stuff should not come anywhere near a piano

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page