mid-range grand OR top notch upright?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

qwertman

mid-range grand OR top notch upright?

Post by qwertman »

with the budget im settin myself im kinda facing some sort of dilemma--to get a mid-range grand or a real good upright.
i've tried yamaha's C3 and kawai's SK3. liked the yamaha better though the SK was actually better than i expected.
i've tried schimmel's 130 & 132. currently waitin for the dealer to get the steingraeber 130 in (can't wait :D ). i guess the steinway upright aren't worthy of the price they command. yet to try sauter & bose 130 too, but the bose's gonna strain my $.

wad do ya' all think? tried any of these pianos?
yamaha2006
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by yamaha2006 »

I disagree with you.

Bosie is as expensive as steinway, and for the same price, german Steinway is still better...

Schimmel is very good but not as good as steinway (My teacher owns a Schimmel so I know what i am saying.

I think Yahama C3 is not good, I tried one a few years ago, it was below my upright yahama...Sound and touch were awful !

Try Bechstein or Sauter if you want a good value!

but Steinway Bluthner, and Bosie are the best (same price ) !
qwertman

Post by qwertman »

well, round where i live in Singapore, Bosie 130 is Singapore $50k (US$31.25k / 17k pounds) and steinway 125 is $55k (US$34.4k / 18k pounds). so...nope. no way.

never considered bluthner cuz the dealer's(only one in the area) rather unethical. displayed a steingraeber 130 with warped cabinet to warn others??!! definitely wasn't taken care of properly.

dun think it's right to compare schimmel & steinway--they're in a whole different league. but i was jus thinkin what would b a good choice for my budget of S$30k+ (US$19K+). though up to around S$40k might be ok.
yamaha2006
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by yamaha2006 »

Try a Sauter or pleyel?