The fate of old Bechsteins

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If it has a pleasing tone and as you say a nice case there may be a case for restringing and some action work.

However, and a big However, the soundboard is getting a bit long in the tooth restring will improve the bass but in a few years you may lose some of the dynamics a new soundboard is out of the question on a upright cost I would get a few quotes

The other alternative is just repin not many tecks like doing that as it is hard on your hands the last one I did was a Rogers in Blackburn Library on site and only lost 2 strings

You can use a chemical fix pin tite or CA glue I have done a few Becy verts with CA Glue it can work well

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
ajk

The fate of old Bechsteins

Post by ajk »

What do people think should happen to an old Bechstein upright? Ours is straight strung and I guess around 110 years old. It now does not hold its tune over the middle notes for more than a week or two. Do I 1) burn it 2) try and give it away 3) part exchange it to a dealer or 4) have it restored? It seems a pity to scrap as it has nice case and keys in good nick and all the notes work etc. When tuned it also sounds well too. Any view much appreciated.
ajk

Old Bechsteins

Post by ajk »

If I read you right I need to find a tuner / restorer prepared to take the right attitude - I am guessing that going at a piano with cyano acrylate glue would not be to everyones taste - what is the process - squeeze some on to each pin during tuning to make the pin sticky in its hole?

From waht I read there is insufficient market for such things to make them a worthwhile proposition for a dealer or restorer to want so if I don't put some cash into the old girl she is doomed!

many thanks for your views

Andy
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Old Bechsteins

Post by Barrie Heaton »

ajk wrote:If I read you right I need to find a tuner / restorer prepared to take the right attitude - I am guessing that going at a piano with cyano acrylate glue would not be to everyones taste - what is the process - squeeze some on to each pin during tuning to make the pin sticky in its hole?

Andy
You have to put the piano on its back 50 g of glue normally works, you need a bit of room to tap the pins in if you have over done the glue - pin tite on the other hand take a few applications and can be hit and miss but again the piano need to be on its back and left for an hour or so and yes not all tuners will go down that route. I will only do on certain pianos that restringing is not an option from the clients lack of folding stuff

but in most cases I tell them to get rid

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Get rid.

or:

Have it completely restored by a top firm of technicians (ask around for recommendations in your area) and insist they fit a new Delignit wrestplank. If you don't replace the plank now, the chances are that you'll be doing so in 10 or so more years' time. It will cost about 3.5 to 4.5K to do the work. If it's cheaper than this, chances are you're getting an incomplete job. Remember that man-hours in the UK are expensive and you'll be getting whoever to do many hours of skilled labour. Resist the temptatiion to send it to Poland (many piano shops send pianos there because labour is cheap) where it'll be rebuilt by the same people who about 20 years ago built the crappiest pianos in Europe. Polish restorations look glossy, and at their best are 'workmanlike' but you'll need a skilled tech to put all the rubbish regulation right once it's repatriated.

Old oblique strung Bechsteins can sound OK, but a new Yamaha U1 will sound better and will be more reliable, so it's a case of 'heart versus head', so if you have a great emotional attachment to it, have it restored. If you don't, then p/x it.

PG
ajk

Old Bechsteins

Post by ajk »

Thanks guys - I rather thought you might say this. I suppose all good things come to an end - its just it's sitting there looking at me in a rather sad way as though to say "don't shoot"! But I think the anser is a new U1. I assume that people are wary of those claiming to sell good imported U1's for about 2k as being dodgy and one is better to simply buy new from a good reputable dealer and aim for a good discount.

Is there any kind way of getting rid - does anyone want these things - selling via the small ads is no doubt possible but what does the purchser then do?

regards

Andy
Technician Dave

old bechstein

Post by Technician Dave »

I would sell through one of the London piano auctions, a second hand U1 or U3 from the 80's would be a good buy. Try Little and Lampert they are a good outfit to deal with.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

ajk wrote: But I think the anser is a new U1. I assume that people are wary of those claiming to sell good imported U1's for about 2k as being dodgy and one is better to simply buy new from a good reputable dealer and aim for a good discount.
Most U1s for around 2K are indeed high milers! Probably ex music college. Avoid!!!!

Don't be put off by imports though. Find a trustworthy dealer and buy at a sensible price.

I tuned a grey-imported U1 today- one of the nearly-new ones that appear to be hitting these shores at the moment. Sold via a very reputable dealer as "nearly new" it had a serial number of a thousand or so *newer* than the latest models being sold through Yamaha main daelers!! At the price that it was sold for it was a total bargain for the user, and the dealer made a fair enough margin for there to be a high standard of preparation and a sensible 5-year warranty. Yamaha dealers are under such pressure to sell cheap because of the availability of shoddy internet deals amongst their own, that preparation standards are frequently poor.

Find a good dealer and buy a good U1, grey-imported or not. An import will be cheaper, but be aware that coupled with that there will be softer residual values. My favourite U1s are between 4 and 5 million serial number, making them from about 1986 to 1996 or so.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

ajk wrote:
Is there any kind way of getting rid - does anyone want these things - selling via the small ads is no doubt possible but what does the purchser then do?

regards

Andy
Some dealers may give you Ł50 as the Italians are still buying rubbish if they have nice cases.

I lots of dealers are finding it hard to get U1 -3s younger than 1980 at a reasonable price as TD says if you live in the London area try Little and Lampert quite a few shops buy form them

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
ajk

old bechsteins

Post by ajk »

Guys

Having thought about it for a while I plan to ask my tuner to apply the cyano acrylate glue!

However before I broach this subject with him I would quite like some clear guidance on what you would do so I can pass these on - I know he will say "be it on your own head" but my thought is to give it a shot before I reach for the local dump.

many thanks

Andy
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Not all tuners know how to do with CA and you may find that your tuner will not be happy with it

First you will need very, very good ventilation I wear a respirator as well CA glue is very toxic when inhaled it can coat your lungs with glue. You will need about 4 20g bottles I find the Locktie one good as it has a long nozzle. The piano will have to be on its back if your tuner has not got a cradle then you will have to drop it on its back not for getting to place a some wood under the back so you can get your fingers under and more importantly out when you drop it. Apply a few drops round each pin avoiding the strings it’s a trial and error too much and the tuner will have to tap the pin in to break the bond too little and the pin will not hold.

How it works CA has very good compression and capillary property’s the glue soaks in to the wood making it swell and then sets making the pin tight again. However, too much make it very difficult to turn the pin. The piano can be tuned after an hour or so

You tuner may be more happy using pintite which can be obtained for the supply houses

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
ajk

Post by ajk »

many thanks - I will see what he says!

Andy