Are 'old' Bechsteins always worth buying?

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Franny

Are 'old' Bechsteins always worth buying?

Post by Franny »

I would be very interested in any comment from Bill Kibby as to whether or not it is worth buying ANY old Bechstein, regardless of its age. I am thinking of uprights here. Should one only go for one that is overstrung and underdamped? And does it matter if the outside is shabby, providing the inside is 'sound'?
Bill Kibby

Bechstein

Post by Bill Kibby »

Probably the most wonderful grand I have ever encountered was a Bechstein, newly and beautifully restored, which was bought and placed next to the radiator in the home of an old lady who felt the cold, so the room was heated to 80 degrees, and the piano fell apart, and fixing the loose tuning pins alone would have cost over a thousand pounds. Whether grand or upright, Bechstein or whatever, the piano was irreparable, and not worth anyone's money. This is not a point about Bechsteins, because although they are one of the best-selling names at auctions, they are still subject to all the problems of any other old piano. If it's not overstrung, the tonal quality will not be the best. If it is overdamper, the damping will not be the best, but if you like it, "ain't nobody's business if you do"!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info