Could you tell me what kind of piano iz the best

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Jeanny Pham

Post by Jeanny Pham »

Hi everyone, nice to meet you!!! :)
Could you tell me what kind of piano iz the best???
Thanks so much :)
I want to be a famous Pianist ^_^
I love playing Piano ^_^

PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

A Steinway!

(but only the German ones, and even then model As and Cs aren't always very nice!)
Jeanny Pham

Post by Jeanny Pham »

Oh really? What about Yamaha of Japan??? :wink:
I love playing Piano ^_^

PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

They're the second best!

;-)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You've just upset everyone who's spent three million quid on a Fazioli...then there are the Bozo owners....!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Gill the Piano wrote:You've just upset everyone who's spent three million quid on a Fazioli...then there are the Bozo owners....!
Heh heh heh!!

They're third equal!

;-)
profshorthair

Post by profshorthair »

depends wot u want it for, your budget and the room it isgoing to go in. steinway great put costs a lot, if u r only learning are ging to put it in an average size living room then the extra cost may Not be worth paying - alsodepends onstyle of music - if u play pop or Boogie u may prefer the sharper, tiny sound of yamaha- bbcalways use them for pop stuff, look at c factor or jonath rossetc u will see an upright yamsha - you could spend 6000 on a steinwayand probably best one but u could spend 2k and get a new or really good second hand yamaha - the end of the day the choice is yours But dont let some snobs convince u that u have to part with 6 k for a steinway - i have a mate who did that - shop keeper had a strong opinion that anything less had no class and my mate wanting to get thebest went for it -- and in his living room the sound is all soaked up by furniture and carpet - i bought a yamaha for 1500 thinking i will upgrade when i move to a bigger house, i know have moved and there is no need for me to replace it - better to pay5k off my morgage or update my car - mymate is still paying for his
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

profshorthair wrote:But dont let some snobs convince u that u have to part with 6 k for a steinway - i have a mate who did that - shop keeper had a strong opinion that anything less had no class and my mate wanting to get thebest went for it --
Sorry to inform you that any Steinway for 6k will be either very very old or a bago'shite.

Probably both.
tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

jonathan woss

Post by tuna »

The yamaha you referred to on friday night with mr ross, was a digital piano, not a string to be seen, except perhaps a g string worn by one of the poofs. :lol:
Jeanny Pham

Post by Jeanny Pham »

Thanks so much for all your advices,anyway, my house is not so large and i'll thinhk more seriously about buying a new one :D :wink:. Thanks everyone
I love playing Piano ^_^

ezeepiano

Best Pianos

Post by ezeepiano »

PG, surely you dont put standard Yamahas above Steingraeber Bosendorfer and Fazioli?? I saw some new Grotrians too recently and they were good too.
www.iain-gordon.co.uk
Steinway Trained Piano Tuner/Technician
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Wanna bet?

Only my opinion, but Yamahas (especially real ones from Japan) are great pianos that are affordable by mere mortals. The other brands you mention can all be lovely in their own way, but for a moneyed elite only. None of them are as good all-rounders as Yamaha either. I've never tuned a Fazioli that I've positively loved, although the build quality has impressed greatly, and only a few Bosendorfers have really done it for me. None of those were that oversized vulgar Imperial model either. I've really tried to love them too, but they've always been a disappointment. Steingraebers don't feature highly in my list, and I honestly can't see what all the fuss about them is about.

A perfectly set-up standard Yamaha can be a wonderful instrument. Sadly the cost-cutting of most Yamaha dealers means that very very few are perfectly set-up. The out-of-the-box standard of Yamaha preparation is adequate enough for the discounters to get away with murder, and it is this which has become the norm, so most people don't realise what a precision instrument it is and what it's capable of. The handbuilt range can be even better; the S6 is a true Steinway B competitor; the SU7 has the best upright action at any price point and I believe is also used by Steingraeber as special equipment at extra cost in their 130PS model. I'm not a big fan of the S4 though, and the S400 was positively vile.

Even Yamaha can get it wrong at times!
ezeepiano

Yamahas v others

Post by ezeepiano »

I agree with what you say re Yamahas, trouble is I dont think many dealers know how to set them up!! Its true with a bit or fine finishing and toning they'd be much cleaner sounding. I have seen an S6 and it was very good.
I still like the build quality of the other grands though.
www.iain-gordon.co.uk
Steinway Trained Piano Tuner/Technician