Wendl & Lung or Samick?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Iulian
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Wendl & Lung or Samick?

Post by Iulian »

Hi everybody,

Your input will be very appreciated on the dilemma above.
A bit of background: I am prepared to spend around Ł2000 on an upright. After checking about 20 or 30 models(new and used) and letting myself influenced by discussions on this forum I shortlisted a Wendl & Lung and a Samick of the same height (121 cm). Now, the W & L seems to have a more mature tone, capable of more nuances, etc. On the other hand, I admire what I think is the consistency of Samick. I mean, after playing 3 or 4 of them I think I can recognize one with my eyes closed. They all have the same specific brightness of tone and lightness of touch. Did anybody else hear/feel what I'm talking about or it's pure nonsense ? What about the build quality of the two?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

You're spot on.

The Samick is consistently built with great precision. Take a W&L apart, and you'll find a keybed that appears to be made of recycled orange boxes with gaps where the planks don't fit correctly. Watch out for splinters.

That said, the European design influence is evident in the sound, and there's nothing wrong with the instrument as a whole, since the flaky materials are only used for non structural and largely unimportant bits of the casework. I can envisage the odd buzz and rattle occuring as a result though, and the geometry of the celeste rail (practice pedal) is sometimes a bit rubbish.

Strangely enough, I'd actually rate the W&L over and above the Samick, which has a very uninvolving sound compared to the W&L's richness. The W&L compromises in build are evident, but in places where it matters least. As you've discovered, they play great!

The W&L is also more pleasant to tune since Samicks are often strung with the wrestpins far too tight in the plank. 10/10 for stability, 2/10 for being able to wrestle the buggers in tune in the first place.

Residual values may be slightly stronger on the Samick, but for 2k, there's not much money to lose anyway.

PG
Iulian
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Iulian »

PianoGuy, thanks, this is very helpful. Especially because I imagined you would be the only person on this forum leaning towards the Samick...
I'll probably go for a W & L one of these days.

Thanks again.

Iulian
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

I've not had experience with the W & L piano but I generally like the Samick pianos - yes they are consistant, the tuning pins are oftern very tight but once in tune they're great.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
2005JG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by 2005JG »

Hi,

I bought a Wendl about three/four months ago and I have been very very pleased with it. I too noticed the tone of the Wendl when first played and loved it. So much so, from that point I had to have a Wendl. They were quite hard to get hold of (possibly due to my location???) but found a piano shop that liased with the company in Austria and got one sent over for me. Since then I have found it to be great instrument to play, listen to and enjoy.

Having said that, it appears that with Wendl, a few posters on here query the build of the instrument, which I myself have found no problem upon examination. All I can say is that there were many brands up for consideration when I was thinking of purchasing my piano that were certain to be chosen. But when I heard the Wendl, my choice was made.

Let us know how you get on!!! :)[/b]
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

2005JG wrote: Having said that, it appears that with Wendl, a few posters on here query the build of the instrument, which I myself have found no problem upon examination. All I can say is that there were many brands up for consideration when I was thinking of purchasing my piano that were certain to be chosen. But when I heard the Wendl, my choice was made.
If you compare the construction and materials of the W&L with either a Samick or Yamaha you will discover the deficiencies. The keyframe is made of crapwood and gaps bolstered up with tubular metal extrusions. The celeste pedal mechanism is low rent and the entire construction is flimsy compared to Japanese. Korean and the best Chinese pianos.

That aside, the W&L is well polished and presents itself well.

A great sounding instrument at a fair price.
pianolad23
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

W&L

Post by pianolad23 »

I decided against buying a Wendl in the end, not because they are not good but becasue my local stocker of them wouldn't come down on price so i told him to stuff it, so i got a Yam U1 instead, it sounds good. I'm glad your happy with your W&L they seem to be good piano's.
Iulian
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Iulian »

Thank you everybody for your input, it was more than heplful.
I just had my new Wendl & Lung delivered yesterday and it sounds, feels and looks every bit as expected.
I look forward to see how it settles in the house.
I must say I think I found one excellent dealer in the person of Mr Mildren of Mildren Pianos in Witney, Oxfordshire. Not only (probably) the best price in the UK but also a great service.

Thanks again.

Iulian
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Decent dealer preparation makes all the difference!

Mazeltov and enjoy your new piano!

PG
Jonah

Post by Jonah »

Iulian wrote:Thank you everybody for your input, it was more than heplful.
I just had my new Wendl & Lung delivered yesterday and it sounds, feels and looks every bit as expected.
I must say I think I found one excellent dealer in the person of Mr Mildren of Mildren Pianos in Witney, Oxfordshire.
Iulian
Hi everybody,

I too am just buying my first piano, though not so much for me as for my 7-year old
daughter who's just starting to learn (though even at 50 it may not be too late for
me also!). Although a musician, I knew little about modern pianos a couple of
months back, but did some searching and found some of the discussions here really
helpful. My thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Like 'Iulian' above, I also came across Mr Mildren of Mildren Pianos in Witney, and
received a wealth of advice from him too - very impressive.

Not having very much to spend though, I finally plumped for the Wendl & Lung 122.
I didn't get to study a Samick, but the Wendl does seem to be one of the best of
the cheaper pianos that I looked at. And considering what goes into any piano, I
have to say I'm amazed at how they can do it at all for the money.

I'm now looking forward to my first, and rather belated, piano lesson, my only
real worry being whether I'll be able to keep up with my daughter... :?