Advise on purchasing a Bluthner Grand piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

LINS1

Advise on purchasing a Bluthner Grand piano

Post by LINS1 »

I am currently at Grade 3 but wish to progess further and want to purchase a piano that will see me through to the higher grades. I have seen a Style V11 Bluthner Grand (approx 1915) for sale at Ł5500 at a local piano shop. I have asked about the condition of this and been told that the strings have been replaced but they are not sure when and that the soundboard and frame are in a good condition and do not need replacing. This seems to be very cheap for this make. Could anybody advise that at this age would they expect that this piano would need to be completely restored and if not now, when? Can anybody also advise which other grands I could purchase in this price range. I'm looking for a rich mellow tone / and orante legs / music desk if possible.

Thanks
mm
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Bluthner

Post by mm »

Hi! My first decent grand was a Bluthner the same age and it lasted me for many happy years. OK, I had to get the action completely renovated and the soundboard repaired (30 years ago and it is still going strong with its new owners) but all pianos require that eventually. My only two complaints were a very weak, wooden-sounding treble (but I have heard other Bluthners which are better) and a very light action, which meant I found difficulty adjusting to other pianos.

Bluthners were built to last and if your piano dealer can't give you an honest opinion about the action, they shouldn't object to you bringing an independent piano technician along to check it out and give you an idea what may be necessary in the near future.

If you like it and it suits you, go for it!
LINS1

Bluthner Grand

Post by LINS1 »

Thanks v.much for your response. Unfortunately my budget wouldn't stretch for repair work at the moment and being a a relative beginner I'm worried about investing a large sum of money and then being faced with an expensive repair bill. The sound and touch seem great to me (but I'm no expert!! I'm guessing any restoration wok required will depend on how well the piano has been looked after and usage as well. The person selling the piano seemed quite knowledgable but vague on works carried out on it. Is it normal practice to bring a technician along as I don't want to be seen to be disbeliving what there saying in the shop?

Thanks,

Lindsey
mm
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Bluthner

Post by mm »

In my experience, it is quite normal to take someone along for a second opinion and if the dealer hasn't got anything to hide, he shouldn't object to an expert looking at it. Ask him. If he objects, there could be something wrong. If he agrees and your expert likes it, then he has made a sale.
You really do need to know if there will soon be any major expenses and if it is sold without any guarantee, you must get the advice of an independent expert - hopefully the one who will look after the piano for you in the future.

Good luck!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

MM (Morris Minor?!) is quite right; if they've nothing to hide, then they won't mind a tech coming to the shop. if they object...well, something's a bit fishy.
My only reservation is that Bluthners used a weird piston spring type mechanism, and these springs can break, but that might have been before 1915. One of the others will soon pop up to tell us! However, at grade III level you're not going to be beating hell out of the piano to a great degree so I'd have thought you'd be all right. Ask the tech you take along to check for you. Good luck!
mm
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by mm »

Hi Gill

You got the Morris part right but I am not sure about the Minor label.
Regards.
Martin Morris