buying a piano what brand?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

nikolas
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by nikolas »

You're not telling us, what you want the piano for.

I mean since you want a grand you must have enough space to go in. But I mean a lot of space.

And it does sound a little strange wanting to go straight to a grand piano without knowing anything about piano manufacturers. If you are a beginner I wouldn't recomend bying a grand piano, to begin with. If you're not a beginner then you could consider bying one, but still unless you are around grade 7 or 8 I don't think that technically you will need a grand piano.

But anyway it's your call.

I don't know what budget you're talking about but the best known manufacturers would probably be Steinway & sons. Another well known brand is Bosendorfers. The prices (depending on the model), would be at around 30,000 GBP and above...
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: buying a piano what brand?

Post by PianoGuy »

xmaix wrote:Hi, I want to buy a piano can anyone tell me about the best piano manufacturers. I found a shop that sells Pearl River pianos (from china) are they good.
And what should I buy a baby grand or a grand.
Thank you
As stated above, the best pianos are made by Steinway and Bosendorfer, but let's not forget Fazioli who often knock out a decent old crate, and the top models from Yamaha also take some beating.

Pearl River pianos built in the last three or four years are indeed very good, but they're all entry level instruments, so hardly inclusive amongst manufacturers building the best available. Avoid second hand examples from the early '90s or earlier. Pearl River is a very modern factory these days, churning out thousands of well made pianos, but only a few years ago they were built rather crudely. Yantai Perzina is another Chinese company building some excellent cheap pianos.

The bigger the grand the better is the basic rule, but 6'0" is about ideal for a domestic instrument.

The best grand, measured by quality for price paid is the 6'0" Yamaha C3; the best upright, price for quality is a Yamaha U1. Try and go for a UK sourced, Japanese-built one less than 10 years old if you can't stretch to new.