Pianos on Ebay

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

diddy

Pianos on Ebay

Post by diddy »

Does anyone sell pianos / piano related things on Ebay?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Just don't be a total wazzock and actually *buy* anything.......
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

After my experience buying an electric blanket on ebay (it worked for one night, then one side refused to work..I contacted the seller..a large warehouse-type store. received a generic reply...then nothing, despite several emails to them.} :evil:
I cut my losses....cut the blanket in half (thankfully the two sides were totally separate) and put it on the single bed in one of the guest rooms.
I wouldn't buy another thing on there, let alone a piano.
A piano is a huge investment and a very personal choice. Unless you can actually visit the piano and see, hear and play it prior to purchase I wouldn't even consider it.
nikolas
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by nikolas »

Geminoz wrote: Unless you can actually visit the piano and see, hear and play it prior to purchase I wouldn't even consider it.
I think that this is something to do always no matter if you're bying from ebay loot or a friend.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

This twonk is at it again!

Take a look and have a laugh before it expires!

here...
ricardo

selling on ebay

Post by ricardo »

interesting question
on the other side of the coin, i've just sold a piano on ebay (a fairly new quality upright).
Buying off ebay is likely to be safe for a seller with a high rating, and where the buyer knows which model they want.
Having said that, I was not really expecting to sell it on ebay!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

My favourite eBayer is off on another one here. Check out item number 7374902464 . It's a Collen-Broadwood. Built like a tank from the Somme itself, but a bag of shite nonetheless.

Oh... and this one, 7375689398 beautifully restored with felt in that famous shade of Bechstein Red and frame resplendent in gold U-spray.

Best of the lot must be this (or rather *not* this, because he's stuffed in a pic of an unfortunate Broadwood instead) Steinway 7374902342
"Thus informed as to some amazement of the shown picture of a John Broadwood & Sons Grand when a Steinway is offered. The reason for this is again let it be made clear here is re styling which is you see here is like few others or none on eBay. The Steinway (not pictured) too with this 'squared'  appearances notably at the tail and frontespiece is therefore similar, but not identical - (that now clear as stated before). Bidders please note that not only is there no other piano that I could find out of some twenty? or more grand which are  nearer (visually speaking) than this John Broadwood & Sons or our particular Steinway auctionned here. So, in the words of McCartney, Let It Be.. finally that it is there simply because it was decided another maker as better than as great anyway as Steinway-no-picture-at-all in the circumstances. Or, to put another way, Carey was famous in a song by Sir Cliff Richard as Carey Doesn't Live Here Any More. (But at least the picture's coming) "

What's all that about, eh?

I really can't believe the prices that some people ask for utter tat. No wonder he's decided to hide his feedback comments, although come to think of it, there could well be hundreds of his buyers who are relieved for that, just so that the eBay World can't see how gullible they've been.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

On the other hand, he does a wonderful job cheering up some of us; I've had a splendid time reading it all, and apart from a pain in my side from laughing am really quite merry now! :lol:
Venise

Post by Venise »

Yes me too! :lol: I've only just joined this forum and don't know much at all about pianos, nice to have the first posts I've read giving me a laugh. :D

Wazzock, twonk? You must be from Yorkshire?! :lol:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Venise wrote:Yes me too! :lol: I've only just joined this forum and don't know much at all about pianos, nice to have the first posts I've read giving me a laugh. :D

Wazzock, twonk? You must be from Yorkshire?! :lol:
You should be a piano tuner! your hearing's good enough to detect an accent over t'net!

PG
X
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Take note local authorities charge piano shop for dumping pianos it’s cheaper to put them on Ebay for Ł1.50 and let you pay for the shipping.

If you are buying over distance get a tuner to look at the piano theat gos for if you are buying for Ebay or the UK piano Page

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Some people will make up any guff to sell pianos on eBay!
Take a look at
this and read the lies about USA build quality being better than Japanese!

PG
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

My friend had one of those, and when I finally bullied her into buying a U3, she sold the KImball (thank you God). I told her if she recommended me to tune it she would NEVER get another Christmas or birthday present from me as long as she (or I) lived. Bless 'er, she didn't let on! :wink:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

That was a good plan, I shall try that in future!

That model Kimball is at least the best of a bad bunch (ie it's not a spinet!) but build quality is absolutely atrocious. It has at least a conventional Schwander action, but it looks like it was made from the sweepings of reject components from the factory floor. Add to that a nastily built celeste operated by a cheap lever and Kimball's usual lack of precision in frame casting, and you have a pile of junk that only a few misinformed Americans would find remotely acceptable. Even the former Soviets are used to better now.

The cheapest Young Chang knocks it into a cocked hat for quality.

I have a good mind to make him a 'best offer' of a pound just for his cheek!