Do you record music?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

diddy

Do you record music?

Post by diddy »

Just wondering how many of you here have a 'studio' at home. Im trying to start one, but I don't know how! Any advice would be appreciated!
PianoFifty
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by PianoFifty »

Not a studio as such, but I have a set-up to record my (admittedly bad!) piano playing, that works quite well, and is portable.

Assuming its a piano that you wish to record, you will need a couple of decent microphones, a computer pre-amp/interface of some kind, a computer and some software. I have a pair of MXL condenser mics in vibration mountings on mic stands, coonected to a Tascam US-122 interface box which is in turn connected to a Toshiba laptop via USB.

I record with the version of Cubase that was bundled with the Tascam. I find it helps to add a little bit of reverb via Cubase, though there is a fine balance required here as too much reverb results in distortion. The overall results are quite pleasing, and its easy to burn the sound files to CD playable on just about any music system.

The key factors are the quality of the microphones, the quality and tuning of the instrument you wish to record, and the positioning of the microphones - pianos are notoriously difficult to record, and it is usually a bit 'hit and miss'. There are some usuful articles on the internet on this subject.