Should I buy a Yamaha CLP115?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

faerie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Should I buy a Yamaha CLP115?

Post by faerie »

Well after much deliberation I have decided to get a more expensive digital piano and stretch my credit card to its limits. I have found a Yamaha CLP115 for £700 and this seems like a good model for my daughter (grade 3) and myself (grade 7). Am I getting the best deal for my money? I want an instrument that will last, good sound quality. It seems to have all the functions (88 weighted keys etc). But will it be good enough for and advanced player? Or are other non brand models which seem to retail at about £500 just the same?
Best wishes
Faerie
remlap3
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by remlap3 »

You can get a much better quality digital piano for the same amount of money from a proper retail outlet for around the same money.
The problem with the cheaper Yamaha digitals is the touch, and if you are grade 7 and your daughter is grade 3, you really need something that is going to last a bit longer.

Where abouts are you?
faerie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

hi,

Post by faerie »

we are in London, East Dulwich, SE220EQ
thanks for replying.
Best Wishes
Faerie
Jas

Post by Jas »

Not many piano dealers here in East Dulwich... Or SEanything, for that matter, as far as I've found.
faerie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

i know ;)

Post by faerie »

the guy asked where I was living so as to recommend a dealer nearby, so I posted my where abouts "East Dulwich etc" as a reply.
Michael36
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Should I buy a Yamaha CLP115?

Post by Michael36 »

faerie wrote:Well after much deliberation I have decided to get a more expensive digital piano and stretch my credit card to its limits. I have found a Yamaha CLP115 for £700 and this seems like a good model for my daughter (grade 3) and myself (grade 7).
I'd say no - but this is my humble opinion that follows. YMMV [as may others]

The ydp113 is the same [in terms of sound / action / voices etc] bar only having one pedal, but it's usually a lot cheaper, even under 500 quid at times - it's basically the old CLP-110.

They are all the same sound / action etc as the P60 too [albeit that has smaller speakers and only a footswitch pedal]

If you think a "stage piano" will do, I'd look at the P120 which has a far better piano sound to the one shared by the p60/clp115/clp110 and ydp113, better polyphony and 1/2 pedalling.

There's no problem with most available cheaper yamahas and the touch - all the models I've mentioned have the same action as the p120 / p250 and the higher clp1xx models. The only difference at the very high end, and the newer models is wooden keys on some models and the latest CLP2xx series has the GH3 keyboard which has extra sensors in it supposedly to allow faster repeats.

Personally I would look at the YDP113 or spend a bit more and get something better than the CLP115 - with yamaha that means getting one with the 3 or 4 layer sample. I've got a p60, and after the initial "sounds like a piano" wears off, it does start to sound very zingy.

If you really want a budget with 3 pedals there are roland copies on ebay around 650 quid and casio to look at - although I've not played one, so that's food for thought, not a recommendation.

OTOH I would recommend trying the GEM RP700/RP800 as well, if you care about what it sounds like :) Nice sound [a sampled steinway and a fazioli], and they do sympathetic resonanace and dynamics with maths rather than filters / reverb or samples [or not at all as on the clp115] - which makes it very expressive to play as well. Gem aren't easy to find a dealer though although if you're in London you probably won't have a problem - I think hooters in selfridges sell them?
PianoFifty
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by PianoFifty »

I agree with the previous post - save yourself 300 quid and go for the YDP113. It has everything you need. I remember from your original thread that your budget was initially much lower than 700 pounds. And at around the 450 pound mark it will give you far more pleasure than the equivalent amount spent on an old upright clunker!
faerie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

thanks

Post by faerie »

thanks Michael36 and PianoFifty I appreciate you taking the time to reply, I am going to look at the models you suggest, the YDP113 in particular, and think things through again. I think I will go to a few show rooms and try out different models.
I am finding this a bit difficult, its very good to have advice.
Best Wishes
Faerie