Piano to CD?!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

geraniumshaker

Piano to CD?!

Post by geraniumshaker »

Hi, I was just wondering if anybody knows of a good cheapish or downloadable programme that will allow me to connect my piano to the computer and record to put onto cd?

I am trying to make a present for someone before I leave on friday, (so typically unorganised I'm afraid.)

Any other suggestions of how to do this would also be cool...thanks!
sucom

Post by sucom »

You could try Cool Edit Pro which is one of the best music programmes for recording. It can be a bit daunting when you first look at it, but if you stick with it, it could bring good results.
geraniumshaker

Post by geraniumshaker »

Thanks - there's so many different programs and so many different ways of doing it that it's quite daunting!

Shall definately be looking that one up though - cheers
PianoFifty
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Piano to CD

Post by PianoFifty »

Audiograbber is good too (and free now!)- just use 'Line in Sampling' to create a .wav file and burn straight to CD.

But a lot depends on your hardware set up (microphones and pre-amps). I have a Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface + a couple of MXL condenser mics, which all sound pretty good. Remember that the piano is one of the hardest instruments to record, due to its massive harmonic and dynamic range.
geraniumshaker

Post by geraniumshaker »

Thanks - I'm going to try and invest in a better microphone to get a better sound quality and then that program will probably be the one!

The wealth of knowledge on this site is amazing - I feel embarassed as to not have been more interested in learning about all the different types of pianos and how they work and all the exciting programs and fun you can have when I was growing up. Still it's never too late, and hopefully I can inspire my pupils to experiment more.