Yamaha U1 new or used, "US seasoned" good for Euro

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Since you are moving back to Europe at a later date a grey market piano may be a better option if you intend selling the piano before you move. However, if you are going to bring the piano with you may be better off buying in the US even with discounted prices in say the UK the one in the US would be cheaper but you have shipping as to seasoned to des the US has just a big varied climate as Europe

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill Green wrote:Can I be dim? (Answers on a postcard, please...) What's a grey market piano?
It’s a generic term used manly in the USA for imported pianos from the 2 big Japanese makers manly Yamaha and the term seasoned for destination came for them as well, manly because back in the 80s a lot of 50s 60 and 70s second hand pianos were being imported from Japan. Pianos made in Japan pre 70s were not made with seasoned wood so a lot of these imports just fell to pieces with the very dry central heating that we and the US have. Yamaha would not even supply parts for these pianos so they became to be know as grey pianos as it was a grey area if you could get parts for them.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill is the clock on your computer fast

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Can I be dim? (Answers on a postcard, please...) What's a grey market piano?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Not according to the telly (teletext), no...why? What have I done now? Have I ruptured the space/time continuum again? I'm always doing that... :?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...and yes, it IS nearly quarter past three in the morning; spot the insomniac :shock: !
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Barrie...are you phsycic? :? How can you answer Gill's question before she asked it??
I know I am 8 hours ahead of you guys here...but even with that I'm not that good. :wink:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I think the server clock is up the spout as the board is showing 02:44 pm to me when it is 4:24pm I advanced the boards time by 2 hours but no change it was set to GMT it is now set to GMT +2 hours That is why I asked Gill was her clock fast as it looks like I’m psychic as you said but I was born 11 minutes past 11 on the 11 -11-55 and if that is not weird my Farther died 13 minutes past 1pm on my 13th Birthday

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill Green wrote:I got the spooky bit, but the technical bit went over my head at approx. 30.000 ft doing 400mph. Is my pooter clock knackered or not? Yes or no will do, Barrie - you know about me and my technallergy! :oops:
Computer are never a simple yes or no :twisted: As far as the bit I was on about, yes your computer is fine but you know computers …. Click .. Click blank Hmmmm….. not again :shock:

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I got the spooky bit, but the technical bit went over my head at approx. 30.000 ft doing 400mph. Is my pooter clock knackered or not? Yes or no will do, Barrie - you know about me and my technallergy! :oops:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

o no...it's the space/time continuum thing again; if it's me, Barrie, I apologise. If it ain't, it confirms my opinion of technology :twisted: .