new zimmermann z1 / Yamaha U5 / Kawai K80. which one better?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The Z1 out performs the U3, touch wise it matches the U5 but the U5 has the extra pedal I like the tone of the Z1 over the U5 in the bass I think it is a lot richer but the U5 top treble is crisper

Price wise the Z1 is RRP is £8000 and the U5 is RP £6,899.00 so on price I would go for the U5 However, there is a 1 year old Z1 for sale at £4500 here
http://www.pianoplus.co.uk/cgi-bin/used ... iewadd&min
=1&max=6&

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
charles hallows

Post by charles hallows »

[quote]The Z1 out performs the U3, touch wise it matches the U5[/quote]

Hi Barry,

sorry but i am sure the u3s action and keyboard is exactly the same as the u5 as both parts are marked "U5" on both models. the hammer heads are made of mahogany on the u5, and maple on the u3s.

i haven't weighed mahogany vs. maple, but i am sure there would be no difference in the resistance / key weight if anyone could be bothered to weigh.

In my opinion (and i do not claim this to be accurate, nor a fact), the u3s may psycologically feel less responsive because a superior piano (U5) produces more sound with more resonance, and therefore the kinetic energy is transfered from depressing the key to hearing more sound. Therefore, the superior piano in terms of its acoustic resonance response, despite featuring an identical action and keyboard, will feel more responsive.

I think the U5 is a very decent 'refinement' of the U3s, and the small difference in price makes it a highly recommended piano. My customers paid just under £5k for theirs, and they are thrilled. So am I, the Seiler, Schimmell and Zimmermann pianos at £5k were only 116cm and no where near as good.

I've always found Yamaha pianos to be consistently good, reliable and easy to maintain. I have to admit preferring the tone of other brands in the past, but recently the tone quality has impressed so much that my old favorites are dissappointing me!

Chris Venables have been very good to my clients and were kind enough to prepare each piano to sound as good as possible. Flawless.

I am not a huge fan of the U3s vs some other good quality 'full height' uprights, but the U5 is very decent. What is your opinion of the SU7 charles?

Cheers
Piano Enthusiast, Player, Tuner and Technician.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

charles hallows wrote:
The Z1 out performs the U3, touch wise it matches the U5
Hi Barry,

sorry but i am sure the u3s action and keyboard is exactly the same as the u5 as both parts are marked "U5" on both models. the hammer heads are made of mahogany on the u5, and maple on the u3s.

i haven't weighed mahogany vs. maple, but i am sure there would be no difference in the resistance / key weight if anyone could be bothered to weigh.
They are the same action and the same back However, like you pointed out not the same hammers that is what make them different in tone, the hammers are a heaver so that in turn alter the inertia of the action we are not talking a lot but it only take a few grams on the hammers to make a big difference on the touch. I can’t be positive but I think the blow is set different as well altering the ratio

I have been told I am taking a brake for 2 weeks form pianos so I can’t measurer the amount

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page